Footloose Part 2 in Ohio?

A senior at Heritage Christian School will be suspended Monday for attending Findlay High School's prom because the event involves dancing and rock music.

A Heritage School committee decided Wednesday that Tyler Frost, 17, will be suspended if he attends Saturday's dance because the school's policy forbids dancing, rock music, hand holding and kissing.

Frost plans to attend prom anyway with his girlfriend, a senior at Findlay High.

He would have received his diploma May 24 from the 84-student fundamentalist Baptist school at 2000 Broad Ave. in Findlay.

But Frost will now be suspended from classes and receive an “incomplete†on remaining assignments, according to Principal Tim England.

He will not be permitted to attend any graduation ceremonies with his class of four students, but will receive his diploma once he completes his final exams.

If Frost “is involved with alcohol or sex†at the prom, he will be expelled from Heritage, England said.

Frost's stepfather, Stephan Johnson, said he plans to file a lawsuit against the school.

Frost has attended Heritage Christian, a ministry of Calvary Baptist Church, since kindergarten.

Other than a detention in seventh grade, Frost has never had disciplinary problems, he said.

“He deserves to wear that cap and gown,†Johnson said.

According to the school handbook, rock music “is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds.â€

The school also forbids physical contact between girls and boys in grades 7-12.

Johnson believes those rules should not, and do not, apply outside the classroom. He said many students and their parents do not know the scope of the handbook's rules.

“How many people at that school know that when country music comes on, their kid could be expelled? Ninety percent of the school could be expelled,†Johnson said.

England said Frost agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the school year.

“Our stand on this issue should be of no surprise to the student or his parents,†England said in a statement. “For the parents to claim any injustice regarding this issue is at best forgetful and at worst disingenuous. It is our hope that the student and his parents will abide by the policies they have already agreed to.â€

England said he has never known a Heritage Christian student to attend Findlay's prom. He has been principal for 13 years.

Findlay High School requires students attending prom from other schools to get a signature from their principal.

England signed the form for Frost, but told him there would be “consequences†if he attended the dance, Frost said.

“I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid,†Frost said. “I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end.â€

Instead, England took the issue to the School Committee, made up of church members, where they decided to suspend Frost.

“In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the School Committee chose the other,†England said.

Frost said he has never been to a dance before.

Craig Kupferberg, principal of Findlay High School, said he respects, but does not agree with, Heritage Christian School's view of prom activities.

“I don't see (dancing and rock music) as immoral acts,†Kupferberg said.

I admire the young man for standing by his decision to go to the prom with his girlfriend and he does deserve to attend graduation in my opinion.

If Frost “is involved with alcohol or sex†at the prom, he will be expelled from Heritage, England said.
:doh:

This kid is getting ready to graduate for pete's sake. I applaud him for using the mind that God gave him and making his own decision. Rock on kid. :rockon: