ANZAC Day... our very own Alamo

LeeBB

Welly, it's April 25th, ANZAC Day, the holiest day in the Australian calendar. It's now 94 years since the Australian and New Zealand forces landed at the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey. They fought and they died and they lost.

(In passing, let me recommend the beautiful film "Gallipoli" to you all. Mel Gibson was once someone you could admire.)

A Turkish officer, the enemy, a man who went on to become the founder of modern Turkey, Kemal Ataturk, wrote these words in tribute, som eof the finest words ever written, I daresay:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.

Enjoy the day. Try your hand at a game of two-up and drink yourself some real beer. It's all a part of the tradition.

See ya!

Lee.

'Gallipoli' is definitely one of those great movies that unfortunately never seems to get the credit it deserves- except by those who've seen it . I visited there 6 years ago , and I must say that I was very impressed with how it was presented ; very much in the spirit of Ataturk's words . Australia can be proud .