Village People's original policeman sues band

Farin

The former lead singer of the camp disco group proves he's really a Macho Man by suing the band's current lineup for using his image without permission

[smaller]Sean Michaels | guardian.co.uk | Wednesday 11 February 2009 | Link[/smaller]

The Village People's original policeman does not want anybody to think he is still in the band. The group's former lead singer, Victor Willis, is suing the present incarnation of the group – alleging that they have used his image and voice without permission.

Willis has filed a lawsuit against Village People promoter Sixuvus Ltd, the William Morris Agency, and Can't Stop Productions, which owns the Village People trademark. He is demanding $1m (£675,400) and that the group cease using his picture in conjunction with the letters Y, M, C and A.

The 57-year-old left the Village People in 1980. He was arrested for drug possession in 2006 but avoided a prison sentence by entering rehab. "The nightmare of drug abuse is being lifted from my life," he said in a statement at the time, "however, now that I've awakened, I'm finding that I've missed some important things in life, not to mention a couple of court appearances, which I sincerely regret."

Willis returned to the stage in 2007, playing a series of comeback gigs, but postponed a world tour after surgery on his vocal chords.

The Village People formed in 1977 and have since sold more than 80m albums and singles. Willis "remains the most successful and wealthiest of all the Village People", according to his official website, due to royalties collected on songs such as YMCA and Macho Man, for which he has writing credits.

Besides the Village People's current representatives, Willis is also suing several venues where the band have performed, according to the BBC.

The companies involved have yet to comment.