You can call him Bono but you can't call him Sir.

Sweet Jane 61

U2 frontman Bono added another accolade to his impressive career, as he was honored as a Knight of the British empire. British Ambassador David Reddaway presented the singer with the honorary knighthood on behalf of the Queen of England in Dublin this morning. Bono was recognized with the title for his humanitarian efforts and musical career. He will not be given the title of "Sir" however, since he is an Irish citizen and not a resident of the U.K. or a British Commonwealth.

After the ceremony, Bono joked that "you can call me pretty much anything you want, except sir. You can call me lord of lords or a demi-god." He also noted that his youngest son was disappointed Bono (real name: Paul Hewson) wasn't "becoming a Jedi." Bono's entire family was on hand for the ceremony, along with U2 members The Edge and Adam Clayton.

On a more serious note, he added, "What a great year for an Irishman to receive an award from Great Britain. The Peace process has proceeded to a conclusion, debt cancellation - started in Great Britain - has put 20 million African children in school, The Happy Mondays and Shaun Ryder have reformed, England's rugby squad entered Croke Park to thunderous applause, silence for God Save The Queen, then the Irish hammered them. I couldn't be more proud. I would like to thank Her Majesty's Ambassador for pinning this award on me in my home town, and the band for not bursting my balloon