Andy Summers keeps busy!

Sweet Jane 61

Former Police guitarist Andy Summers has seen it all during his five decades in music, and he's preparing to share his memories with the world. First up is his autobiography, "One Train Later," due Oct. 3 via St. Martin's Press. A second book, filled with photos Summers shot during the Police's short but storied career, will arrive next spring from Taschen.

"I've had a fairly amazing life and I've been very lucky," Summers, now 63, told Billboard.com this morning (July 19) from his California home. "I've been in on all the amazing moments and I've lived through very colorful decades."

But the artist is also juggling a variety of musical projects, including scoring his first film in 15 years, the upcoming Danny DeVito star vehicle "One Part Sugar." "I'm going to the studio today to start that," he said. "I'm about to cut all the pieces up."

Summers has also completed a guitar duo album with Ben Verdery, with whom he performed last fall at New York's Carnegie Hall. "It's all original, although we did do [the Police's] 'Bring on the Night,'" Summers says. "Ben is a hardcore Police fan and loved the arpeggio from that song. He plays all kinds of weird stuff on a classical guitar plus retuned 12-string with chopsticks. I mostly play a sustained electric guitar sound. We're not playing jazz. It's improvisational, but very pretty. It's very ethereal but it has some really gnarly moments at well. There's even a sort of surf tune on it as well."

Although he's entertaining offers from several labels to release the album, Summers is also considering simply issuing it via his Web site early next year. Also on the horizon is a trip to Brazil at the end of November to record and play a handful of shows with legendary Brazilian guitarist Roberto Menescal.

As previously reported, Summers' book isn't the only Police-driven product about to hit the marketplace. Drummer Stewart Copeland's documentary, "Everyone Stares," drawn from his personal home movies of the band, will premiere Aug. 6 on Showtime and be released on DVD shortly thereafter.