Recovering From Cancer Surgery, Sheryl Crow Cancels Tour

Sweet Jane 61

Sheryl Crow says she is recovering from breast cancer surgery and doctors have assured her she should make a full recovery. The singer/songwriter had the surgery Wednesday in Los Angeles and is recovering without complications, according to her spokesperson.

"Her doctors think her prognosis is excellent," the spokesperson said.

In a statement posted on her official Web site, the 44-year-old artist called the surgery "minimally invasive" and said she will be undergoing radiation treatment as a precaution. She said she benefited from early detection, and urged other women to have themselves checked.

"I am inspired by the brave women who have faced this battle before me and grateful for the support of family and friends," Crow said.

Crow has canceled North American tour dates she had planned in March and April. The statement on her site says it is her "intention to reschedule as much of the tour as reasonably possible." Fans are encouraged to hold on to their tickets, although the refunds for canceled shows are available at the point-of-purchase.

Crow's former fiancé, cycling champion Lance Armstrong, said in a statement that he was "devastated" by her illness.

"Once again I'm reminded of just how pervasive this illness is, as it has now touched someone I love deeply," said Armstrong, who is a survivor of testicular cancer.

Crow and Armstrong, 34, announced earlier this month they were splitting up. It would have been the Grammy-winning rocker's first marriage and the second for Armstrong, a seven-time Tour de France cycling champion.

Crow has said her most recent album, the Grammy-nominated "Wildflower" (A&M) was inspired by their relationship.

On her Web site she urged people with questions about cancer to contact the LIVESTRONG Survivor Care group that Armstrong founded.

"Based on my contact in recent days with Sheryl, her doctor and her family, I am confident that she will have a full and complete recovery and the world will be a better place for it," said Armstrong, who asked that Crow's fans keep her "in your thoughts and prayers."

The singer-songwriter and guitarist was raised in the small town of Kennett, Mo., where she sang in the local choir. A nine-time Grammy winner, she is best known for such hit songs as "Soak Up the Sun" and "All I Want to Do."

After work as a music teacher and backup singer, including a stint with Michael Jackson, she broke through with the 1993 multi-platinum recording "Tuesday Night Music Club."

Not one of my favorites, but glad she is doing better.