Doyle Bramhall II

Sweet Jane 61

I got turned on to Doyle Bramhall II about 5 years ago from a friend. With the album Jellycream. I was an instant fan. I knew of his father but hadn't head anything from Doyle Bramhall II. Then when his next album came out in 2001...Welcome...I was working at a station that played classic rock, new rock, and I had a blues segment everyday and I was playing cuts from Welcome. Cuts that jam...So You Want It To Rain...Smokestack...Last Night...and then you can slow it down with sexy soulful blues on Send Me Some Love and Cry. I think he is a talent that needs to be out there for everyone to hear. His voice has a soulful quality to it, the songs seem to be coming from deep within as he sings. Check Doyle Bramhall II out. Here is a bio I found...

Doyle Bramhall II was born in Dallas, Texas on 24 December 1968 but was raised in Austin. His father, drummer Doyle Bramhall, is a Texas music legend known for his work with Lightning Hopkins, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimmie Vaughan in the 1960s and 1970s.

At age 16, Doyle Bramhall II toured with Jimmy Vaughan's band, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, as second guitarist. Shortly thereafter, he formed The Arc Angels with Charlie Sexton.

Doyle's 1999 solo recording, Jellycream, brought him to the attention of both Roger Waters and Eric Clapton. During 2000, he toured with Water's band (along with Andy Fairweather-Low and Katie Kissoon). Eric Clapton and BB King recorded two of his compositions ("Marry You" and "I Wanna Be") on Riding With The King .They invited Doyle join them in the studio. Impressed with his work, Eric had Doyle join him in the studio for the recording of Reptile. Along with Doyle's wife, Susannah Melvoin, they wrote "Superman Inside" for the CD.

In 2001, Doyle and his band, Smokestack, opened for Eric's World Tour in Europe and America. His most recent solo album was 2001's Welcome.

Doyle has been part of Eric's studio band since 2000 and became the second guitarist in his touring band in 2004. Doyle can be seen in Eric's two most recent DVDs, Crossroads Guitar Festival and Sessions for Robert J. He can be heard on the following CDs: Riding With The King, Reptile, Me and Mr. Johnson, Sessions for Robert J and Back Home.