Stars

RyanTurtle

Okay, I wrote this a few years ago and I just found it. I'm not exactly sure on how good it is...and when in doubt post it on songfacts :thumbsup: Any comments/criticism would be appreciated.

Stars

The rain beat down on the hood of the ?69 Dodge Charger. Behind the wheel sat a slender, middle-aged, man with short, brown hair. He is William Wells, an author from New York City. He loosely holds the phone in his hand, on the other line is his fiancé, Kelley Brooks. As he hears her angelic voice he can?t help but remember the joy he felt about proposing to her the night before.

"I?m going to be a little bit late tonight, all right honey," He said into the phone, "the weather is really terrible tonight." He hangs up the phone and turns on the radio.

"Damn weather," he muttered with a look of disgust on his face, "the one time I?m out of town it has to be cloudy.? William has lived in the city all his life, never able to see the stars due to the air pollution.

William had been driving for about three hours now and he still had a long trip ahead of him. At least he had the radio to pass the time. The DJ on the radio had been giving weather reports for about a half an hour and he finally introduced some music.

?Alright, time for three minutes of irony,? the DJ exclaimed with sarcasm in his voice, ?Here come The Beatles with Here Comes the Sun?

Just then a flash of lightning illuminated the night sky. William saw the silhouette of a large animal.

"JESUS CHRIST!!!? he yelled as he jerked the wheel to the right. The car slid off of the road and began to roll. The last thing William remembered before slipping into unconsciousness was being thrown out of the car and landing on his back about ten feet away from his burning car.

He regained consciousness and tried to stand. He first started by trying to lift his arms but he couldn?t. He tried his legs but he couldn?t move, his limbs felt as if they were filled with lead. All he could do was lay there and stare at the sky, hoping to see the stars.

All around him the rain beat down, the thunder roared, and the lightning struck. What seemed like days had passed and he had not seen a car, or had anything to eat. He could feel his life depleting and death?s cold touch on his body.

Consciousness seemed to come and go as he lay there. All he could think of was a verse from a song, the title was gone from his memory. For three more days he just kept thinking to himself,

"I wish I may, I wish I might

Get this wish I wish tonight

I want that star and I want it now

I want it all and I don?t care how"

William had lost all track of time now and with it he was starting to lose what little hope of survival he had clung to. He had lost all hope in seeing the stars. He had given up on the life that had given up on him. Remorse for his sins flowed through his mind, as he came to realize that death was inevitable.

It was well into the night, a body lay in the middle of the desert, a man who was barely hanging on to his life, a man who?s only wish was to see the stars before he died.

William lay there motionless, praying for the stars to come out before he let go of his life, and all faded to black.

William woke up about an hour later to see right above him the big dipper, and to his left, Orion. He had finally seen the stars, he had seen all he had wished to see, then everything faded away.

A lifeless body lay on the roadside, never to move again, never to see it?s beloved fiancé again. It?s heart beat no more, death had come for him, and he could avoid it no longer.