Studio System schooling vs Today

Ollie

While I don't believe many professionals or fans decry the end of the 'studio system' (where pros were under contract to one studio for years), the studio system did provide a lot of skill development other than acting - singing, dancing, playing musical instruments. Even if actors didn't use those skills often, they would come back to 'haunt' audiences later.

(I'm watching John Wayne sing in THE QUIET MAN - the little bar-room ditty - not a big stretch, but thar he goes!)

During the '60s, '70s and '80s, I can't really name too many of that era's film stars that demonstrated a range of skills - dancing, singing or playing the piano. I'm thinking of Jack Nicholsen, Paul Newman, Marlon Brando's one singing role. There were stars of musicals (Julie Andrews etc) that did, of course, but mostly not. I get the sense that, during the '30s into the early '50s, the studio system was raining just about everyone. Just in case...("There was a wild colonial boy, Jack Duggan was his name...")

But it's not like James Stewart relaxing at a piano in ANATOMY OF A MURDER. Or Jack Lemmon thru out several films.

At least, not until Clint Eastwood did the same in IN THE LINE OF FIRE.

In the past 10 years or so, I've seen a spate of actors who've done quite a bit with music. (Of course, Belushi and Ackroyd as The Blues Brothers, but also John Goodman, Justine Bateman, even Michael J. Fox, Bruce Willis and Kevin Bacon.)

Are we going to see another generation of actors that have dancing and musical skills?

Would the modern Boy/Girl "bands" (InSync, Spice Gogs, Christina-Brittany, etc.) be considered products of a studio-like system? Of course, we'll have to wait to see if they turn into so many other one-hit wonder types or if they have any staying power.

After all...I'd hate to think Madonna ends up being the standard bearer for singer-dancer-actor types of these last 20 years...but I fear she is.