Quiz January 2009

Natasha from Perth, Australia is this month's quiz winner and will receive a cool and comfortable

SongFacts t-shirt. :coolio:

Here are the answers:

1. What movie features songs by The Go-Go's, The Cars, Tom Petty and Jackson Browne?

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

2. Who was the first solo artist born in the '70s to have a #1 hit in the U.S.?

Tiffany - "I Think We're Alone Now."

She was born on 10-2-1971 and the song first entered the US Billboard Top 40 the week of 9/26/87, and peaked at #1 the week of 11/7/87.

Debbie Gibson didn't quite make it. Her song, "Only In My Dreams" entered the same U.S. chart three months earlier than Tiffany (when she was 16, also), but the song only peaked at #4.

She didn't reach #1 until 1988 with the song "Foolish Beat."

3. In what popular song from 2008 does the singer call someone "a tool"?

"So What" by Pink

I'm gonna show you tonight

I'm alright, I'm just fine

And you're a tool

So so what?

4. What former Beatle appeared in a Madonna movie?

George Harrison. He was in "Shanghai Surprise."

5. What 1987 movie is about a singer who died in a plane crash?

La Bamba.

It's about Ritchie Valens, the late 50's pop idol who died in a plane crash that also took the lives of Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper.

6. What singer who had her first Pop hit in 2008 released a Christian Gospel album in 2001?

Katy Perry

7. Before "Saturday Night Fever" was released in 1978, what was the best-selling movie soundtrack?

West Side Story from 1961 - It went 3X Platinum.

In the United States, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack has gone platinum fifteen times.

8. What popular American singer has a 23-year-old daughter who is also a recording artist?

Billy Joel - his daughter Alexa Ray is also a singer/pianist.

9. What song written by a Canadian singer in the '80s became a #1 UK hit for another singer in the '00s?

"Hallelujah." Written by Leonard Cohen in 1984, X-Factor winner Alexandra Burke took it to UK #1 in 2008.

"Heaven". Written by Bryan Adams in 1983, DJ Sammy and Yanou with vocalist Do took it to UK #1 in 2002.

10. What song was downloaded (legally) for free over 2 million times in 2008?

"Violet Hill" by Coldplay

Congratulations to Natasha and thanks to all who entered the quiz this month. :thumbsup:

Head on over to SongFacts main page to enter the newest quiz.

You could be the next winner of a cool SongFacts t-shirt!

SongFacts :headphones:

RE: Q#8

MJ,

I couldn't find any info about Pat Benatar's daughter Haley releasing any recordings.

All I found was that she was in an all girl band called "Glo" and that they toured with her mom.

If you have any additional info, please send me the link so I can check it out.

Thanks.