Pay $50 to be a true Who fan

The Seeker

THEWHO.COM TO LAUNCH SUBSCRIPTION SCHEME ON NOVEMBER 5TH

21st October, 2007

On November 5th, thewho.com’s subscription scheme will be launched. For a modest fee of $50 per year ($40 if you still have an active subscription to thewhotour.com), you can become an official Wholigan and, in so doing, get past the site’s heaviest bouncers and gain full on access.

What do you get when you subscribe to thewho.com and become an official Wholigan?

- ‘View From A Backstage Pass’, exclusive only to official Wholigans. This double CD contains a whole generation of rare live Who performances (1969 – 1976) that have been maturing like fine old wine in the The Who’s cellars. Don't miss it: this is a one off (OK - a two off), which you can’t buy this in the shops and it’s not available for download. Best of all, ‘View From A Backstage Pass’ is FREE when you subscribe to thewho.com and become an official Wholigan.

- Full Access to the site. Hang out with other Wholigans around the World on the message board area (open 24/7); watch full-length videos from every era in the band’s career; listen to audio tracks maybe; have full access to communications from Pete and Roger, including Pete’s blogs.

- Personalised e-mail: as a subscriber you receive your own email address (yournamehere@thewho.com) and regular mailings, so you’ll be the first to know about new releases, special appearances, publications or tour dates. You also gain access to 'Wholigans-Only' sections of the message boards and discussion forums, including a very special area - ‘100 Faces’.

- Massive discounts in WHO SELL-OUT – the official Who Store. As a subscriber, you qualify for a 25% discount off any item you buy in the store – throughout the year of your subscription.

- Exclusive Full-Length Videos: As a subscriber you will be able to watch videos from every Who generation, from 1964 to now, in full, whenever you choose. Plus there will be video exclusives. (This feature will be available in 2008).

- Every Song on Every Album (b-sides too!): Maybe you only tuned in and turned onto the band on ‘Endless Wire’, their 2006 album, or maybe it was through ‘Who’s Next’, ‘Quadrophenia’ or Tommy. Maybe you want to check out some of their earlier stuff. There’s Who music stretching back to the early 60s. Perhaps you don’t want to buy it yet; you’re not sure if it’s your thing - no worries. As a Wholigan, you’ll be able to listen online to Who tracks, then add them to your mp3 player, if you like. (This feature will be available in 2008)

Get ready to subscribe to thewho.com on November 5th. It's a Bargain!

I decided to post this because we had this selling-out debate again recently... this is what I call selling out. thewhotour.com was based on the same principle... pay and you'll get access to 'special' features. It's not the first time in the past few months/years that I thought they should just call it quits (and not necessarily because of things like this), but this is ripping off fans, nothing else. The first website was a debacle already, and I never would have thought they'd do the same thing again... that's not the Who I like. I can't quite believe that my favourite band turned into this. :P

yes, and things that are free almost anywhere else :P

a propos "free", I absolutly love sentences like this:

‘View From A Backstage Pass’ is FREE when you subscribe to thewho.com and become an official Wholigan.

it's FREE, with NO CHARGE, you don't need to pay anything!!!

- when you pay us $50 a year...

:stars: :/ again

• 1 month later...

You see, having discriminating tastes means I have to sift through 99% of crap before I hit paydirt :) In this instance, though, I'm getting this feeling of, "Yeah, yeah. I've heard songs by the who a gillion times and I've read about them and I've seen the movie and I've read about them more and I've read some more about them." I say the who wore themselves out by saturating the media. Unless they got something new to show (which they haven't in decades), I don't really care to pay 50 bucks to hear the same thing over and over. This goes for virtually any artist and band in the same situation, not just the who. Now, Ennio Morricone and Bernard Herrmann would be the exceptions to the rule. Paying 50 bucks to get an exclusive from them would be cheap and I'd take that chance in a snap.

I love The Who. I understand they are now more interested in making as much money as possible while they can than artistic credibility. Will I continue to listen to their music and attempt to play along with John? Absolutely. Will I be sending off $50.00 to be a "Wholigan" (I find that title, by the way, quite bromidic.) Not so much...