TV Horror Hosts

Uncle Joe

Do (did) you have a favorite TV Horror Host? You know, the guy/gal who introduced the old horror flicks on TV and did spooky stuff between commercials and movie?

My all-time favorite was Roland (John Zacherle).

I also enjoyed SCTV's Count Floyd (Joe Flaherty).

And I must admit I enjoyed seeing Elvira (Cassandra Peterson).

You can check them all out here at e-gor's chamber....

TV Horror Hosts

So, who's your favorite?

Unless you lived in central VA, back in '70, you'd of never seen or heard the hilarious antics of the Bowman body and Dr. Strangeblood.

They were the deal and they showed the best classic horror movies, to boot.

elv2.jpg

Whoa, all woman! Never, until now, was I aware that she was a red-head w/freckles (my number one turn-on), too!

Yabba-dabba-do . . .

There was a fun Canadian kids show in the early '70s called the ' Hilarious House of Frightenstein ' . The host , Billy Van , was ingenious at playing a number of parts in this variety ' monster-themed ' comedy show . Like WB cartoons, many of the jokes and info could be enjoyed by teens and adults even better than by kids . It still plays on some cable channels . Below are some screen caps of various characters : The Count ( who prefered pizza and toast ) , Grizelda the ghastly gourmet who had a goofy cooking segment , and even Vincent Price who would do macabre , yet humerous intros to each segment of the show .

vp2.jpg

griz4.jpg

countandigor-cap1.gif

Here's the link to a fan site : http://www.frightenstein.com/index.html

:laughing: :laughing: Whenever I get home , I'm usually jet-lagged and up at 5:00 am or so - I always check this out if it's on ( which it often is on some

Shaw channel or other ) ! Good times ! ;) :jack: :rockon:

Vincent : " The castle lights are growing dim ; there's no one left but me ... and him . When you next come to Frankenstone - don't come alone ! ( manical VP laughter / lightening and thunder ) " :)

Roland/John Zacherle started in Philly in the late 50's/early 60's. He had a great cast of characters assisting him including Igor and My Dear (the corpse of his wife).

He was the first to incorporate himself into the movies he was showing. For example, in The Mummy there's a scene where the tomb searchers are distracted. Suddenly a sarcophagus opens and there is Zacherle mugging for the camera. You couldn't tell that it wasn't an original part of the movie, it was done so well.

My friends and I loved to get together and goof on these movies. I guess that's why I loved Mystery Science Theater 3000 so much. I wish they'd bring that back. Say, whatever happened to Joel Hodgson anyway?

Check out Elvira's er..Cassandra's Wiki bio...great story

Elvira

I met her in the late eighties for a show and an interview, her husband/manager was constantly by her side... she was so nice and polite, and funny... even though the macho and rough (bleep) guys from the tv crew were laughing at her and at her look... :P

Roland/John Zacherle started in Philly in the late 50's/early 60's. He had a great cast of characters assisting him including Igor and My Dear (the corpse of his wife).

He was the first to incorporate himself into the movies he was showing. For example, in The Mummy there's a scene where the tomb searchers are distracted. Suddenly a sarcophagus opens and there is Zacherle mugging for the camera. You couldn't tell that it wasn't an original part of the movie, it was done so well.

My friends and I loved to get together and goof on these movies. I guess that's why I loved Mystery Science Theater 3000 so much. I wish they'd bring that back. Say, whatever happened to Joel Hodgson anyway?

Enjoy this site:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/10/horror_hosts_fo.html

There is an article on Zacherle in today's Star-Ledger with a current pic of him (he's alive) and his gang from TV...Newark, NJ is claiming him as theirs.