Your Top 5 Horror/Scary Movie

blue_n_white

Since Halloween is this Wednesday,name your top 5 favorite horror/scary movie and why. I am sure this has been done before on here.

Here is mine:

1)Silence of the Lambs(1991) - Anthony Hopkins brilliant as Hannibal Lecter. Mrs. Blue hates this film maybe because during this time of year I like to sneak up behind her and with a real bad Hopkins impersonation say "Hello Clarice".

2)The Shining(1980) - "Heeeeere's Johnny!". Perfect combination. Jack Nicholson and Steven King.

3) The Birds(1963) - The movie,not the group. (Yes,I know the group is The "Byrds".) Evil birds of a feather flock together.

4) The Exorcist(1973) - What's not to like? Head spinning,levitation and projectile pea soup vomit.

5) Halloween(1978) - The movie that launched the modern slasher age plus the career of Jamie Lee Curtis. This years remake wasn't bad either and was a gore-fest.

Can't really rank them, so the numbers are just for list purposes:

1. Misery = Kathy Bates was just the creepiest obsessed fan an author would ever want to have.

2. Poltergeist = I was 11 when I saw this and was totally grossed out by the guy peeling off his face.

3. Psycho = You're home alone and decide to shower. While in there, you hear a strange noise. Thank this movie for that chill that runs up your spine.

4. The Silence of The Lambs = The sound that Lecter makes after he says "fava beans and a nice chianti" is the stuff of nightmares

5. The Evil Dead = Okay, more funny than scary, but still pretty gory. Who would have thought that the thing you should most fear in the dark woods is a horny tree?

"Misery" is one I have trouble watching which makes it a really good "scary" flick. You are right about Kathy Bates,very creepy portrayal of a celebrity stalker-type. "Psycho" should have been on my list but was a oversight on my part. It may be THE scary movie of all time. Don't know how I forgot that one. :doh:

I used to love horror flicks when I was little. Although I found them scary and made sure neither feet nor hands were out of the covers or over the side of the bed at night, nothing quite prepared me for the trauma I would endure after watching The Ring.

Seriously, nearly (bleeped) myself!

My mum always told me if I was scared watching something, to always remember the cameraman is there. If he was still there making the movie, there was nothing to worry about.

But seriously, The Ring! :shocked:

I couldn't narrow it down to just five. Here are eight of my favorites, in no real order.

The Exorcist- If this doesn't scare the sh*t out of you, there's something really wrong with you. The power of Christ compels you!

Misery- Definitely not for the squeamish. I could feel the pain in my legs during the hobbling scene.

Psycho- I wonder how many people gave up showering after this movie. Ew. Anyways, nobody did scary like Hitchcock, and nobody ever will.

Rear Window- Not scary exactly, but still gets your heart racing.

The Shining- A classic, yet at the same time, inferior to the book. They differ so much, I guess, that they've become two separate entities, each great in their own way.

The Silence of the Lambs- Never has a serial killer been so charming. You couldn't help but like him in an odd way, even when he was wearing a face he tore off another man.

The Sixth Sense- The last minute twist is great, unfortunately it spawned a load of badly made movies with badly developed last minute twists.

Vertigo- Probably my favorite Hitchcock movie. Proves a movie needs absolutely no gore and no creepy creatures to give you nightmares.

I thought The Ring sucked.

Here's two that while not traditional Halloween fare , can leave you with a similar disturbed feeling after watching :

Dead Calm : Isolation at sea and Billy Zane plays a great amiable and calculating and realistic psycho . The kind many of us may have met even; seems perfectly fine but who can slip into madness when you least expect it and then you have to deal with it .

Million Dollar Baby : The 'anti-Rocky ' . The last part is pure pathos and horror .

Even as a little boy I found most of the usual "scary" movies to be silly. Vampires, werewolves and mummies just didn't do it for me.

The movies that had me looking behind the sofa or under the bed were some of the great sci-fi movies of the day like The Thing, Invaders From Mars and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

Later, movies like Psycho, The Exorcist and The Shining captured my "horror" instincts. I read everything I could find by Edgar Alan Poe by the time I was fourteen so it's natural that these movies (and Steven king books/movies) would appeal to me. I loved Misery, Carrie, etc. but didn't find them to be scary in that frightful sense.

Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday The 13th all seemed comedic to me. Maybe if I had seen them as a teenager...who knows?

Anyway, picking six I'd go with...

The Thing

Invaders From Mars

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

*Psycho

The Exorcist

The Shining

* I got to see this one well ahead of it's release as my Mom's cousin, Joseph Stefano wrote the screenplay for Hitchcock. Stefano himself went on to write and produce many movie hits and "scary" TV shows such as The Outer Limits.

Read about Joe here... [b]Joseph Stefano

I (much like Joe) found "horror" movies to be funny. I was afraid of 2 movies though, because I had seen them as a kid.

The Omen

American Werewolf In London

Upon seeing these again when I was older, I found that "Werewolf" wasn't scary at all and The Omen still left me a little uneasy. That kid freaks me out, man! :crazy: