Funny Misheard Lyrics

Aunt_Acid

:doh: I was listening to the radio earlier, and they announced Centerfold by the J Geils Band... then this song started and I recognised it immediately*, I just never knew it was that song. And I also immediately realised that I'd got the lyrics wrong for years.

It's really

My blood runs cold

My memory has just been sold

My angel is the centerfold

Angel is the centerfold

and I thought it was

My blood runs cold

By an angel with a cellphone

An angel with a cellphone

:doh: What's even worse is that every time I heard that song I thought about how stupid those lyrics are!

(* yes, it's been nominated in the TT and I didn't listen to it...)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh: I was listening to the radio earlier, and they announced Centerfold by the J Geils Band... then this song started and I recognised it immediately*, I just never knew it was that song. And I also immediately realised that I'd got the lyrics wrong for years.

It's really

My blood runs cold

My angel is the centerfold

Angel is the centerfold

and I thought it was

My blood runs cold

By an angel with a cellphone

An angel with a cellphone

:doh: What's even worse is that every time I heard that song I thought about how stupid those lyrics are!

(* yes, it's been nominated in the TT and I didn't listen to it...)

Especially since, in 1982 when that song was released, there was no such thing as a cellphone ... unless you were Maxwell Smart calling on your shoe! :jester:

When I was a young Peach-lette back in the 70s, I always thought the line in "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" by England Dan and John Ford Coley was "I'm not talking 'bout the linen". It's really "I'm not talking 'bout movin' in." I couldn't figure out why they were singing about sheets.

:doh:

A tribute is in order for Dan Seals aka England Dan, who just passed away at the age of 61.

• 9 months later...

This week a sixties hitrecord of The Troggs was played on nostalgia radio: Anyway that you want me. I remembered how puzzled I was by the lyrics, and decided to check them.

The puzzling words are:

"I've been watching you, and I don't think that you're game....".

Puzzling if you don't know the English expression "to be game", and your ears hear instead: "I've been watching you, and I don't think that you're gay.....".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This is one of those where the lyric I heard is much better than the real one:

"You'll Think Of Me" by Keith Urban:

"take your cap and leave my sweater"

"take your cat and leave my sweater"

Your CAP! What kind of lyric is that? It takes the whole song and makes it trite. Every guy has been with a girl who has an annoying cat. At the end of the relationship, you tell her to get out with the damn thing, since she always liked it better than you anyway.

This statement of liberation goes completely missing when you tell her to get on out with her cap. That's just dumb.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Fleetwood Mac's Little Lies

I always thought she was singing "No I'm Not Making Friends", turns out she was singing "Although I'm Not Making Plans". I even embarrassingly started a thread asking about it after that part of the song was stuck in my head.