Funny Misheard Lyrics

Aunt_Acid

There is no Elton John song that I understood all the words the first, second or third time I heard it. Yet Taupin's lyrics are splendid and deserve to be understood.
I am convinced Elton John sits down and thinks up ways to completely distort the lyrics so nobody can understand them.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is real and told by Smokey Robinson. He wrote "A secondary motion" and sang it to Berry Gordy, boss of Motown. Gordy was excited about that song, it was a real hit-to-be... but he had understood "I second that emotion", and so the lyrics had to be changed a little bit.

ooh i get rhcp lyrics wrong all the time, like 'with the birds i'll share this lonely view' i was always singing some unintelligible mess of syllables somewhere along the lines of 'with the birds in the shade it's so lonely of you.'

i tend to make up stuff if i don't know the real words. i once went to a morrissey concert and ended up in the front row with all the die-hard fans - managed to mouth along to every song when i only knew the words to about four - i even fooled my best friend who was there with me!

• 3 months later...

In that new greenday song boulevard of broken dreams (I hate it dont worry) i think they say "I wish a wonderbear would find me" When he really says "I wish someone up there would find me"

I dislike it greatly and i love Green Day, it was a good album track but don't condemn them for that Daniel.

:rockon:

Bruce Springsteen's "tenth avenue freeze out"....I thought he was saying...."tell the devil to freeze out"

and in the song Drops of Jupiter...it sounds like he's saying "Van Halen's over rated"...but he's really saying "and that heaven is over rated".... :stars:

when i first heard 2+2=5 from "hail to the thief" (radiohead) i thought he was saying penetration and i was wondering why he is shouting so passionately about it! it actually said pay attention.

my boyfriend often makes fun of me cos i hear the wrong thing all the time and sing the lyric ive heard, which sounds quite stupid i guess

i use to think bruce springsteen was saying "tell the devil to freeze out" on the song tenth avenue freeze out

i use to think that on the drops of jupiter song by train, that they said "VanHalen's over-rated" when he was saying "heavens overrated"

and then on benny and the jets, there's alot of words i cant understand in that song, but i really thought he was saying "she's got electric boobs" when i think it's boots ::

• 1 month later...

After the lovely example (see Jethroe Tull thread) of a person realising they had misheard a lyric for 30 years and now discover the song was about something TOTALLY different to what they had thought....are there any other good examples? The advent of CD clarity must have opened up the ears after years of dodgy Dansettes...go for it. ::