Funny Misheard Lyrics

Aunt_Acid

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First song that popped in my head was Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers.

For the longest time, I was singing:

"She's so hot for her" at the beginning of the song when actually it was "Jeux Sans Fronteires."

First few times I heard Golden Earring's Radar Love I was singing "red hot love."

I always thought they were singing "she's so popular" where they were singing the song's title in French. Usually, lines in foreign languages throw off English-speaking listeners?

Another great site: http://www.amiright.com

Jeux Sans Frontiers made instant sense in England. It was the name of a popular TV game show in the 70s, in which teams from various European cities would represent their country in silly games that ususally involved wearing big rubber feet and throwing water at each other! There was also a purely English version called "Its a Knockout"

I always thought Elton John got "bones for breakfast in the morning, bones for dinner time" in "Social Disease (GYBR). Some months ago I found out he got "bombed". When I was a child I heard "Living is easy without clothes" (Strawberry Fields") when Lennon sung "living is easy with eyes closed"

• 1 month later...

When I was a young Peach-lette back in the 70s, I always thought the line in "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" by England Dan and John Ford Coley was "I'm not talking 'bout the linen". It's really "I'm not talking 'bout movin' in." I couldn't figure out why they were singing about sheets.

:doh:

Took me years to finally figure that one out, too Peach-lette. When I finally did it made me hate the song.

Rather than mishearing lines have you ever just replaced lines? I used to do this to goof on unsuspecting people...especially my wife and my son when he was little. Then I'd argue that everybody knows that my line is the correct one. It'd get them so po'ed that they'd ask other people or even go look it up on record sleeves, etc. One such line I remember is from Billy Joel's "My Life". The real line is..."I never said I was a victim of circumstance". I argued that the line was "I never said I was addicted to circus pants". Feeble, I'll admit. But, to a trusting wife or a little boy?

In Seal's 'kiss from a rose', when he sings "you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny" I heard "you're like a Roman Dictionary. That I can't deny." Also, when he sings "I wash my face in dirty water" my friend swore he was being reallycontroversial singing "I wash my faith in dirty water".

:laughing:

hey kate, one of mine is tiny dancer related too. i always thought it was 'lay me down on sheets of leather' instead of 'linen'... kinky!

another was fugee-la where i thought they were singing 'buffalo soldier, dressed like a rockstar' instead of 'dreadlocked rockstar'. my boyfriend loves to laugh at me and keeps threatening to write about me to fhm for their 'stupid things girls say' feature!

when i was in jesus christ superstar. the guy who played jesus had to be really careful while singing gethsemane cos one of the lines goes 'god, thy will is hard'.

back when that song 'horny' was a hit, a friend's 5-year-old little brother was going around for weeks singing 'i'm honey, honey, honey, honey....' sweet!

When I was a kid, I thought that 'Shake Your Booty' by KC and The Sunshine Band was 'Shake Your Booby.' Don't ask me why. Also, I used to think in the Rolling Stones song 'She's So Cold' that they were saying' I'm so ohohoh.' instead of 'I'M so hot for her.' I misheard and still mishear things quite a bit.

There is no Elton John song that I understood all the words the first, second or third time I heard it. Yet Taupin's lyrics are splendid and deserve to be understood.

I found THIS site through a lyrics google because I finally went so crazy trying to understand the line "Jai Guru Deva, Oohm" in Lennon's Across The Universe. For years I thought he was saying "Like a new day love .. home" (sort of.) But I have at various times heard that song covered by 3 different artists and every one said the same unintelligible line. After finding out that line on this site, I was relieved to find I am no more crazy than originally diagnosed.

another was fugee-la where i thought they were singing 'buffalo soldier, dressed like a rockstar' instead of 'dreadlocked rockstar'.

I never realised they had that line in Fugee-La...but I'm sure it should be "dreadlocked Rasta" :: Might be a case of mishearing misheard :googly:

I always used to hear "honey bring hot toast to my lips yeah" instead of 'honey bring it close to my lips

yes' on Tori Amos' Professional widow :laughing: It just never made sense, but hey it was Tori and she did sing about Cornflake and Raisin girls.....

Ever since I've known the song, I got this lyric wrong, until one day, riding in the truck, I just heard it differently, for whatever reason. The middle of "I'm Not in Love", by 10cc, there's a woman whispering. I always thought she was saying

"Requesting quiet, requesting quiet"

when in reality, she was aying

"Big boys don't cry, big boys don't cry"

Strange that after 20 years of hearing it one way, one day I heard it another.

I always thought it sounded like he was singing that also, weird coincidence, glad I'm not the only one. :laughing:

A few others, Blinded By the Light, which sounds like he's saying "Wrapped up like a Douche" when it's actually Reved up like a Deuce. That has been mentioned on many other threads lately.

I used to misinterpret the entire lyrics to The Doors : LA Woman, thinking he was singing something entirely different.

My grandfather thought they said Kool-Aid too when my mom played that back in the 60s, she told me since he died before I was born.