Funny Misheard Lyrics

Aunt_Acid

What are some lyrics you heard on the radio or maybe just anywhere and thought they were singing something other than the real lyrics? I probably have a ton of these. The only ones I can think of right now are from the Steely Dan song, Turn That Heartbreak Over Again. The real lyrics are "Love your mama, love your brother, love em till they run for cover." I thought it was "Love your mama, love your brother, love your tailgate; uncle cupboard." Don't ask. The tape quality wasn't really good.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A radio host was saying how when heard "I wanna rock and roll all night, and party every day." He thought they were saying "... and part of every day."

I could see a lot of people getting that one purple haze line mixed up. It's really "scuse me while I kiss the sky."

But could easily be heard as "scuse me while I piss the sky." or "scuse me while I kiss this guy."

When I first heard "Whole Lotta Love" I thought the first line was "You need Kool-aid." and that it was some kind of koolaid endorsment. Then I found out it was actually 'you need coolin'.

Of course, "Skuse me while I kiss the sky" like many I thought was "Kiss this guy"

This one isn't funny, but when I heard Sweet Home Alabama, the line "Neil Young can remember, a southern man don't need him around" I thought was "Seven men don't need him around" which makes sense cause aren't there 7 members of Skynyrd?

When I first heard "Whole Lotta Love" I thought the first line was "You need Kool-aid." and that it was some kind of koolaid endorsement. Then I found out it was actually 'you need coolin'.

I always thought it sounded like he was singing that also, weird coincidence, glad I'm not the only one. :laughing:

A few others, Blinded By the Light, which sounds like he's saying "Wrapped up like a Douche" when it's actually Reved up like a Deuce. That has been mentioned on many other threads lately.

I used to misinterpret the entire lyrics to The Doors : LA Woman, thinking he was singing something entirely different.

Up until recently, my wife thought the line "The bright blessed day, and the dark sacred night" from Louis Armstrong's song What A Wonderful World was "The bright blessed day, and the dogs say goodnight."

There are others, but I cant think of them right now.

In Whitney Houston's "Saving All My Love" I thought she said "that's just an old bathtub seat" instead of "that's just an old fantasy."

In John Mellencamp's "Little Pink Houses" he says "I can remember when you could stop a clock." I thought he said " I can remember when you could starve a plum." I asked my dad what it meant to starve a plum. Oh yeah, I got made fun of hard core for that mis-listen!

"She's a Woman" by the Beatles contains the lyric, "she don't give boys the eye." For more than three decades, I thought they were singing "she don't hit RBI's (runs batted in, to baseball fans)," which I took to mean that she didn't score with other boys.

The Marvellettes' hit "Playboy" (1962) concludes with the line, "Watch out for the playboy, he's bringing false joy." For years, I heard the lyric as "watch out for the playboy, he's drinking vodka."

Jimi Hendrix must have misheard part of Bob Dylan's All Along The Watchtower.

Dylan's lyrics (I think) are:

Businessmen they drink my wine

Plowmen dig my earth

None of them along the line

Know what any of it is worth

- - - - -

Jimi says something like:

None will level on the line

Nobody of it is worth

Overall, Hendrix's cover version improves on the Dylan original. I guess I shouldn't nitpick.

From Midnight Oil's "Beds are Burning":

"How can we dance when our Earth is turning"

I used to think it was:

"How can we dance when our heads keep turning". I knew it didn't make sense, but I couldn't understand the guy

In "Tubthumper", in the chorus:

"I get knocked down, but I get up again

They're never gonna keep me down"

A friend of mine thought it was:

"I get knocked down, but I get up again

I'm gonna have another drink because"

Another Beck song

"Where it's at...got two turntables and a microphone"

I thought:

"Where it's at...gotta tap, tap, tap it on the microphone"

• 1 month later...

http://www.kissthisguy.com/ is hilarious! If I don't know the words to a song, I don't sing them till I've checked the lyrics! Great link Audioslave :thumbsup:

When I was little I always thought the old rhyme "my old man's a dustman" was "my old man's a dustbin". I actually remember getting sad because I thought he was singing a sad song and that his dad had to dig in bins for food and was a hobo...hey, I was a sensitive child! :puppyeyes:

Back when I listened to Blink 182, I thought "I'm Jealous of everybody in the room" was "I just chopped everybody in the room" because he said 'jealous' really weird.

I thought We will rock you's "Kickin your can all over teh place" was "Kittens and cats all over the place"

When I was a young Peach-lette back in the 70s, I always thought the line in "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" by England Dan and John Ford Coley was "I'm not talking 'bout the linen". It's really "I'm not talking 'bout movin' in." I couldn't figure out why they were singing about sheets.

:doh:

Peaches, it took me years to figure out what they were really saying. I didn't hear "linen", but I sure as hell didn't hear "movin' in" either.

Peach-lette? LOL...How cute!