Any Computer people here?

Lea

When I go to YouTube it keeps giving this message:

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

I was just getting the message now and then and could still view some videos. No I can't veiw them at all.

I have the new version and have never changed the settings and as far as I can tell everything is turned on. I'm running XP and my comp is fairly new. I know a bit about PC's but haven't had to mess much with XP so I have a hard time navagating it sometimes.

Anyone have any suggestions to fix it? I need my YOUTUBE :(

are you sure that you have the newest player? sometimes installing it again might help... link

also you can look into the properties of your browser (Internet Options in IE) whether you have Java/Javascript turned on or off...

btw, does that only happen with youtube or with other flash-streaming sites as well?

www.dailymotion.com

www.video.google.com

if it's just youtube then it shouldn't be any problem with the flashplayer by itself (re-installing doesn't hurt though)

are you using the Internet Explorer?

I would try to start with cleaning up your cookies and temporary internet files... (again under Internet Options) - don't worry that doesn't cause anything to not work ;) :grin:

sometimes it's the easiest solutions :)

if that doesn't work then check for a virus or malware/spyware (if you don't have something of for the latter try ad-aware or spybot)

:)

Thanks Farin didn't know doing those things might fix it. I hate having to dump cookies :( I do it on a regular basics and also run my virus scans but I still hate doing it. I'd rather be playin' on SF :P

I'll do all that and let ya know. Thanks.

Thanks Farin didn't know doing those things might fix it. I hate having to dump cookies :( I do it on a regular basics and also run my virus scans but I still hate doing it. I'd rather be playin' on SF :P

that's all based on trial and error ;) :grin:

about the cookies - I seldom have to dump them, but that's because I refuse to accept about 95% of them ;)

I fully understand the wanting to play part :( :P

Well, I did all the sugested stuff and for once had no adware or anything at all and I still have the YT problem. I just don't get it!!! I'm annoyed and have to go to work so can't mess with it anymore but I don't know where to go from here anyway. If you guys can think of anything else to try... and thanks for the suggestions you did think of. BBL :D

Lastly, since you have XP, try restoring to a past date (I prefer to do one as recent as possible)when you did not experience the problem. Click "Start"; go to "All Programs"; go to "Accessories"; go to "System Tools"; click on "System Restore" and follow the simple instructions. This should fix it as long as you have a current and compatible Flash Player and JavaScript. Additionally, as good practice, say once a month or so, follow the route to System Tools and perform the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter functions.

This has happened to me too... I didn't do anything, it went away somehow...

Helpful, I know. :P

I'll try this for a couple days. The problem seemed to come on gradually and to be honest I just don't see how it can happen on just one site. If a program doesn't work it doesn't happen at just one site. This makes no since to me what so ever. If it doesn't resolve it's self soon I'll contact YT and see if they can figure it out.

Thanks for the suggestions tho. I am just baffled I've never had something like this happen in this way and I really don't want to have to mess with it to much. I did enough fixing programs etc on my old comp to last me a life time. This PC is only a couple years old and I should not have to mess with to much.

I'll be forced to fix it before the next top 10 comes up :crazy:

My computer does that from time to time though all it says is "lack of memory". But I have never been able to open dailymotion or googlevideos... (I have a Mac G4 with IE and OS 9.1, it´s 7 years old)

Usually I do as Fin says, let it be and wait till the morning after... though your computer seems to be a good and new one so it should work...

I dont know if this is backward compatable w/ win XP.. But I use win 2k pro sp4, with Explorer / 6.0.28.11.. I have never had a problem. I dont try to make Y-tube default to a different media playing app such as "win media player" or "quicktime" or "realplayer" etc.... if this version of explorer will work with XP you shouldnt have any problems....

I run the same progs on both machines... the one at home being a home built w/1.8 g pros, 2g of ram, and 500g of storage spanned over 4 hard drives, This lap top (I'm on now) is an old HP omni 6000 w/ win w2k pro sp4, 80 g drive, and 128 mg ram. with all the same software.. I have never had any probs with either one.

I hate win XP.........and Vista is even worse

Jim

This has happened to me too... I didn't do anything, it went away somehow...

Helpful, I know. :P

That worked :laughing: I was just getting ready to try Jim's idea and thought I'd check YT one more time. I't seems to be working now :thumbsup:

Hmmm how strange and somehow typical :smirk: