An Observation (yes beating a dead horse)

Lucky

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we move past all this rap talk and who likes and doesn't like it...I mean it is getting to be a bit much. Let's get back to what Lucky originally wanted to talk about....why we like the music we do, and yes that includes rap for some but there are other tastes in music out there, share your thoughts on your music. And not this is not an attack against rap it just seems it has to creep into every discussion and then take over the thread. Maybe we can learn more about other music on this thread with everyones insight into the music that turns them on. And if you don't like their music, just move on without slamming their tastes. I feel preachy today, must be the cranky mood I am in... :P

Don't be cranky Jane we love you :grin: I know you don't wanna hear this but I wish you were still working lol I was really enjoying you today.

As for music likes and dislikes I like pretty much everything to some extent. I even like Celtic, River dance (the tapping is music to me)African drums, Native American... :googly:

I also like the music from Cirque Du Soleil. Not sure if I stated that right or not. I heard the music on a movie but can't remember the name of it now. Only the two songs that charmed me. Alegria and Child in His Eyes. Both beautiful songs.

I love old and new county both. I grew up on it. My dad had a band and my mother also sang as did my brother and I. I love Hoyt Axton, The Highwaymen and Clint Black among many many others. The first song I can recall to memory is a song called Rocking Alone In and Old Rocking Chair.

I like a lot of Eminem but mostly his older funny stuff. Like I said I like most everything and if I have had no exposure to it, I'm more then happy to give it a listen.

I think the music people love or even hate is a very very personal thing. I find something to like in most all music but classic rock is my first love. I would never start a fight over someone else's choice of music. It's just...wrong.

If you don't at least sample other kinds of music you miss out on a big part of music as a whole.

Like my signature says .... :grin:

Lea, thanks and today was not one of my better shows just for the fact I feel crappy with this sore throat thing....

And you are right, just as I said, take a listen to other music if you don't like it you don't, but don't slam it, you can give your reasons for not liking it without slamming...but make no opinions without first taking a listen.

Oh Lucky...I remember responding to the Charlie Daniels song!.....I'm sorry I didn't give my opinion, but I do remember trying to get my co-worker on Songfacts so she could watch it and vote for it....she loves that band!!!!....she's been way too busy with the grandkids lately....Oh Well...as for me I love Southern Rock....some I like, some I don't care for too much...The CDB is good, but for me I only like a few of their songs...I don't know why I couldn't get into them as much as I could other bands.....

If you ever go back into Wooly Swamp son you better not go at night

There's things out there in the middle of them woods

That'd make a strong man die from fright

There's things that crawl and things that fly

And things that creep around on the ground

And they say the ghost of Lucias Clay gets up and it walks around.

CHORUS:

But I couldn't believe it, I just had to find out for myself

And I couldn't conceive it, I never would listen to nobody else

No I couldn't believe it, I just had to find out for myself

That there's some things in this world you just can't explain.

The old man lived in the Wooly Swamp way back in the gurgling woods

And he never did do a lot of harm in the world

But he never did do no good

People didn't think too much of him

They all thought he acted funny

The old man didn't care about people anyway

All he cared about was his money.

He'd stuff it all down in Mason jars and bury it all around

But on certain nights if the moon was right

He'd dig it up out of the ground.

He'd pour it all out on the floor of his shack

And run his fingers through it.

Old Lucias Clay was a greedy old man

And that's all there ever was to it.

CHORUS

The Crayton boys were white trash they lived over on Parvis Creek

They were a real snake and sneaky as a cat

And belligerent when they'd speak.

One night the oldest brother said ya'll meet in the Wooly Swamp later

We'll get old Lucias' money and we'll pitch him to the alligators.

They found the old man out in the back with a shovel in his hand

And thirteen rusty Mason jars he just dug up out of the sand.

And they all went crazy and they beat the old man

Then they picked him up off the ground

Then they threw him in the swamp and they stood there and laughed

Till the black water sucked him down.

Then they turned around and went back to the shack

And they picked up the money and ran.

But they hadn't gone nowheres when they realized

They were running in quicksand.

And they struggled and screamed but they couldn't get away

Then just before they were gone

They could hear that old man laughing

In a voice that was loud and strong.

Now that's been fifty years ago an' if you go back by there again

There's a spot in the yard in back of that shack

Where the ground is always wet.

And on certain nights if the moon is right

And you're down by the dark footpath

You can hear three yound men screaming

And you can hear that old man laugh.

I may not have specifically mentioned South's Gonna, but I voted for it, because it's awesome. I also voted for songs from every decade from the 60s to now, because there's damn good music in every era and almost every genre. I can understand listening to an artist and making the decision that you do not like them, but I can not understand anyone automatically assuming they're not going to like an artist simply because they come from a certain time or genre. We are all here because we are especially passionate about music. How can we retain that passion if we're not willing to try new things?

I am constantly surprised by what I like in music these days. The minute I opened my mind, it started to fill up with stuff. For example: I've always hated Jennifer Lopez. I don't like her style of music, I don't like her voice - always thought it was really thin and reedy.

I just watched her performance on "Dancing With The Stars" (it's a very, very guilty pleasure) and I loved the two songs she did. Her voice was so much better than I've ever heard, and her new stuff was really listenable.

Knock me over with a feather.

Can we move past all this rap talk and who likes and doesn't like it...I mean it is getting to be a bit much. Let's get back to what Lucky originally wanted to talk about....why we like the music we do, and yes that includes rap for some but there are other tastes in music out there, share your thoughts on your music. And not this is not an attack against rap it just seems it has to creep into every discussion and then take over the thread. Maybe we can learn more about other music on this thread with everyones insight into the music that turns them on. And if you don't like their music, just move on without slamming their tastes. I feel preachy today, must be the cranky mood I am in... :P

I think it's hard to discuss music today without talking about the music that starts with a "R". I think that music has divided the music world and its listeners. That's why we never see people on here making a big deal out of jazz,classical,ect.

I may not have specifically mentioned South's Gonna, but I voted for it, because it's awesome. I also voted for songs from every decade from the 60s to now, because there's damn good music in every era and almost every genre. I can understand listening to an artist and making the decision that you do not like them, but I can not understand anyone automatically assuming they're not going to like an artist simply because they come from a certain time or genre. We are all here because we are especially passionate about music. How can we retain that passion if we're not willing to try new things?

It's unfortunate that all young people don't have this mind set. :bow:

Maybe no one here likes jazz or classical enough to make a big deal out of it :)

Most of us are quite happy to share our passions where we feel comfortable to, and if it's not a specific genre, it can't be forced :)

If you are a classical and jazz fan, it would be great to get some input from you :thumbsup: Same goes for any other genre.