An Observation (yes beating a dead horse)

Lucky

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what I like and I am gratified when others like the same artists and musical styles that I do.

However, I am not offended when someone says he dislikes the music of which I am fond. He can say it stinks and it doesn't really bother me. The only time I get my hackles up is when someone criticizes the musicianship of my favourite artists. If somone makes a claim like that, he had better be prepared to back it up.

Regarding rap, I don't like it AT ALL. I find it vulgar, misogynistic and annoying, but there are many who would disagree with me and that is great. As I've said many times before, it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same music.

I would not presume to criticize someone's taste in music simply because I don't share it.

This is a really great post. When you say "musicianship" I think that is THE key ingredient in the music I enjoy listening to,regardless if it's rock and roll,rock,southern rock,blues,soul,classical,jazz,gospel,country or bluegrass. The talent of the songwriter,the singer,and the musicians are all appreciated. And to me,that's the major difference in those types of music I just meantioned and the artist's who make the music as compared to some of the music of today. And I do admit I have gone to far at times on here for critizing other music and those who enjoy it. But like you say,it would be a dull world if we all liked the same music. And I would add this would be a dull site also.

No no, liking music from the past is not being ignorant. Soley liking music from the past is ignorant. As is discounting entire genres of music, based on false stereotypes, for that matter. Or speaking about an entire era of music as if it's all one style of music.

I won't name any names, of course.

I've met a few "old" people that could do with an attitude change also. ;)

You couldn't be more on the money with that thought Tim. I'm happy to say that (besides the time I spend here) due to my 4 grown kids, I've learned a lot about more modern types of music. Between them all I have one that's into rap, one that's into metal, and classic rock, one that's loves electronica, and another that listens almost entirely to country. Add to that my love of classic rock, r&B, and blues, and we have a very diverse household. I have no problem stating my opinion of certain types of songs...but would never generalize about an entire genre.

On the other hand, I do believe that people are entitled to their opinions, and should be allowed to express them, as long as personal attacks aren't a part of that opinion. I think that most of us feel that way, but at times emotions get the better of some of us...unfortunately. :P

Within the past week I have noticed some opinions expressed that came mighty close to personal attacks, from people on either side of the issues being discussed. It's too bad that at times we can't all be a little more tolerant of one another.

Edited by Guest

On the other hand, I do believe that people are entitled to their opinions, and should be allowed to express them, as long as personal attacks aren't a part of that opinion. I think that most of us feel that way, but at times emotions get the better of some of us...unfortunately. :P

Within the past week I have noticed some opinions expressed that came mighty close to personal attacks, from people on either side of the issues being discussed. It's too bad that at times we can't all be a little more tolerant of one another.

I agree with you Lucky that it is easy for emotions to take hold, mainly because everyone is passionate about the music they love, but we just need to keep emotions in check and express opinions without letting our emotions run wild. And if someone doesn't like something you do, they don't and odds are you won't be able to change their mind so move on and let it go. I do think it isn't fair to make any type of opinion about a type of music until you have taken a listen to it, you can't judge just because of the genre. Listen, and if it still doesn't float your boat you can at least say you tried. Kind of like brussel sprouts...I hate them but my Mom made me eat some before I said no way never again! :)

Thanks Sue... that's exactly the right idea. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and has the right to express them. Never, in the entire time I've been at this site, has the suggestion ever been made that one does not have that right. We should not have to tiptoe around issues. The point is to discuss them. It's the attack part that has gotten to me lately... :P

I'm blown away by the amount of times I've seen the word "attack" in this thread.

I'd like to attack that idea...

Maybe I'm just a dork (it's a birth defect) but I have yet to see anyone getting "attacked" anywhere. I see opinions being expressed, some more vehemently than others...

To me an "attack" would be (and I'll use Lucky's name because we know each other and she knows I love her):

"Lucky, your taste in music SUCKS. You don't know what good music is. What is WRONG with you? You listen to CRAP." ad nauseum.

This would be a case where one would probably need/want to defend themselves, as it is an attack. And I believe that we look out for one another in these cases, and anyone doing such a thing would have a short life span on SF, either from being banned, or from being outright ostracized and chased off by the pack.

So for the sake of my sanity - and in the interest of continued harmony, such that it is - on these boards, can we refrain from using the word "attack" anymore? :crazy:

To me, music is an individual state of mind. It truly makes each of us who we are only because who we are decides whether we like it or not.

I understand when people get offended when I dispute their particular song/band of choice because essentially, cutting down one's musical choice is the same as cutting down their personality.

I find it fascinating that one person can totally like a song where another can't stand it. It's what makes life so interesting; that we're not robots.

People are so sensitive now-a-days. If someone doesn't agree with another that means they should dislike each other? Wrong! Yet, it becomes more apparent everyday that understanding is a dying commodity. Relish the fact that no two people truly think alike. If they did, we'd be ants. Let's be free thinkers and not conclude that every disagreement is an attack.

One of the greatest feelings I have is that not everyone agrees with me. How boring would it be if they did?

(now that's what I call beating a dead horse)

(lol)