An Observation (yes beating a dead horse)

Lucky

EA, I listen to jazz and the blues more and more it seems. And I agree not many comment on any of these...so I will be the first. Billie Holiday was my first exposure to jazz, and her voice is amazing, I listen to Ella, Charlie Parker, and newer artists such as Candy Dulfer and I consider Steely Dan rock/jazz. I find it soothing, sexual, energenic and just pleasurable to listen to, especially on a rainy day or night or with that special someone. As for the blues, well it doesn't get much better than that, BB King, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray, Clapton, Roy Buchanan, John Mayall and newer artists like Susan Tedeschi, Joe Bonamassa, and Jonny Lang just to name a few. And listening to the blues is a total euphoric experience, nothing like it!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's hard to discuss music today without talking about the music that starts with a "R". I think that music has divided the music world and its listeners. That's why we never see people on here making a big deal out of jazz,classical,ect.

I disagree BnW, you can talk about music without talking about rap or slamming rap, many other genres out there to be discussed. And this isn't a slam against rap but it doesn't have to be the focus for every music discussion.

I am a giant fan of classical music. Late Romantic, specifically. Mahler is my personal god, with Chopin a fairly close second. Stravinsky is underappreciated. J.S. Bach, too, even though he's arguably the most famous. It's astounding what that man did. Not a Mozart fan, but I appreciate him. Beethoven's late String Quartets? Amazing, and pretty much unheralded. I'm really loving Rachmaninoff right now, as well as the Britten "War Requiem".

Come on, let's argue about 20th Century composers. :)

:laughing: this whole conversation has me just shaking my head and chuckling. The use of the word "defend" sort of floors me, because in order to "defend" something, it must first be under attack. And the idea of attacking something here at SF is so ludicrous... why do we feel the need?

I am constantly surprised by what I like in music these days. The minute I opened my mind, it started to fill up with stuff. For example: I've always hated Jennifer Lopez. I don't like her style of music, I don't like her voice - always thought it was really thin and reedy.

I just watched her performance on "Dancing With The Stars" (it's a very, very guilty pleasure) and I loved the two songs she did. Her voice was so much better than I've ever heard, and her new stuff was really listenable.

Knock me over with a feather.

I agree with you. I saw her performance last night as well and liked both her songs. Of course the only reason I watch that show is because of Edyta Sliwinska. She is so hot she makes my teeth sweat. :googly: :googly:

Like I said in one of my earlier post classical music does not do it for me at all. But, IMHO Mozart, Chopin, Bach, and many others of the genre

were masters of their craft and were pure geniuses.

If you think about it, it's kind of like the classic music we love, in as much as it's longevity. Good music is popular forever so that has to tell us something about classical music. It's been here forever and I don't think it's going anywhere soon. I have a tremendous amount of respect for classical music. I just don't like to listen to it but I can't say I never will.

As for the Blues and Jazz, I LOVE them both always have. I love Paul Butterfield, Johnny Lang, Stevie Ray....

I also like Bluegrass and Reggae :grin:

Jane, give Alison Krause & Union Station a try. She has the voice of an angel. It's one of those kinds of music you have to be in the mood to listen to as is reggae. I don't listen to either very often but when I do I enjoy both genres. Just gotta be in the mood.

I'm always in the mood for classic rock tho :grin:

Growing up and living in Kentucky,bluegrass music has been around me since birth but I was never really a fan untill I heard Allison Krauss and Union Station. They are one of the best bands anywhere in any genre. Also I began to listen to more bluegrass when I fell in love with the movie "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?". The soundtrack to that movie is one of my favorite CD's of all time.

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

All the cops have wooden legs

And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth

And the hens lay soft boiled eggs

The farmer's trees are full of fruit

And the barns are full of hay

Oh, I'm bound to go where there ain't no snow

Where the rain don't fall and the wind don't blow

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains . . .

Great bands, hopefully, positively, will never need a defense. If only because they'll remain true and stand out amongst the flash-in-the-pan style that this new generation of music provides.

My theory:

Today's music is much like a leisure suit.

Ironically, this post is perfect proof that great bands often do need a defense.

I hate to sound closed-minded towards mainstream music, but seriously, if anyone wants to know where all the good new music is hiding, check out the indie scene. It may be a scene filled with pretentious people, and while it's not completely devoid of disposable trend bands, but it's a scene filled with great music and it's pretty easy to follow. I am now so immersed in the indie scene that I'm at the point where it's easier for me to find a great modern band than a great band from the 70's.

And I know I say stuff like this a lot, but every decade has it's good and bad. I've only recently found out that it's a similar ratio in most decades. For every Arcade Fire there's a My Chemical Romance, for every Caravan there's a Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. While I'm on the subject, every genre has it's good and bad as well. For every Hendrix there's a Twisted Sister, for every Ryan Adams there's a Shania Twain, for every MF DOOM there's a Lil Wayne, etc.

Basil Poledouris, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Michael Kamen, John Williams, Klaus Badelt, Randy Edelman, (movie score composers), Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Strauss, Vivaldi, Rachmaninov, Kevin Reipl (Final Fantasy), Tanuj Tiku (Witch Hunter), David Chochoi, Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill)...

I think there are some dark horses here :) Because I don't talk about it, doesn't mean I don't like it, I just don't always talk much :)

I like what I like and I am gratified when others like the same artists and musical styles that I do.

However, I am not offended when someone says he dislikes the music of which I am fond. He can say it stinks and it doesn't really bother me. The only time I get my hackles up is when someone criticizes the musicianship of my favourite artists. If somone makes a claim like that, he had better be prepared to back it up.

Regarding rap, I don't like it AT ALL. I find it vulgar, misogynistic and annoying, but there are many who would disagree with me and that is great. As I've said many times before, it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same music.

I would not presume to criticize someone's taste in music simply because I don't share it.

Edited by Guest

Regarding rap, I don't like it AT ALL. I find it vulgar, misogynistic and annoying, but there are many who would disagree with me and that is great. As I've said many times before, it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same music.

Speaking as a fan of (good) rap and hip hop, I must say that it doesn't bother me when people don't like rap, it bothers me when people say they don't like it because it is vulgar and sexist (and although you didn't say it, many would say "violent"). Saying that rap is all about sexism, vulgarity, and violence is like saying rock is all about devil-worship, drugs, and sexism. You may not believe it, but sexist rap artists are actually in the minority when it comes to hip hop artists as a whole. They're just the only ones you hear about because sexism gets played the most on the radio (because society loves sexism, and moreso, society loves controversy).