An Observation (yes beating a dead horse)

Lucky

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a related note, I've seen the Allmans 5 times live.

I saw them once. We actually went for Little Feat, who opened for them. When the Allmans came on, they were so loud we had to leave. I've only ever been to one other concert where the music was so loud it literally made me nauseated - and I mean in a physical sense. It's a weird experience, and I don't recommend it.

But that's nothing against the Allman's music. More the venue's sound system, probably.

Yes, Blue - we get it.

No. I don't think you do. The purpose of this thread was about why people defend their styles of music and their dislikes of others. That's all I was doing. There are hundred if not thousands of great,classic southern-rock,country rock, country songs that have been made over the years. Can't say the same about rap. Yes I don't like rap and if that makes me unpopular here,I'm sorry. I don't it makes me a terrible person because I don't. It's just an opinion.

But yet still part of the thread. And it's why I commented on it. And I haven't repeated it in every post. Only the ones where the subject comes up. I thought that was what a thread was for. Discussion of the topic or is it supposed to be one big old love fest where everybody agrees on everything? I commented on the "general" topic but it was my comment on the music that starts with a "R" that drew your attention. I was merely commenting on that.

I've expressed distaste for plenty of musicians here - Madonna, Green Day, etc. - but I've never tried to convince anyone that they were wrong for liking them. Except for Peaches and Justin Timberlake, but that's different because someone I like to such a degree should not be a fan of that tool. :)

I'm your number one fan, das, and you are the biggest tool I know. I sense a pattern here...

Edited by Guest

blue...unless yours were made from Betty Crockers recipe they most certainly are. We live for occasions calling for edna's brownies! :googly:

But, actually blue, das is right. I meant a more general theme, as in why we are not more tolerant of each others tastes. And by extension those feelings that get personal.

Music is a very personal thing, the fact that so many of us spend so much time here proves that. I think it comes down to appreciation. I may not care for a lot of rap, But I don't care for a lot of classical either. I don't like the themes of some rap, but I don't like the themes of some movies either. To each his own.

I like the idea of being open to new ideas, and I try to practice that. Others may not. That's fine. Opinions are fine, and discussion is educational. As long as it doesn't get personal.

I'm not sure if the song I want to nominate is Rap or Hip Hop. But it doesnt matter to me because I like the song.

I can say (and I'm sure this will rile a lot of you) but a lot of the music I hear the kids listening to today is disrespectful and that's the main reason I can honestly say I don't like it much at all.

By disrespectful I mean to men,women,races,classes rich and poor... Just about everybody. I find that sad. I truly belive EVERYONE deserves respect and I don't care who they are. That is my reason for not liking most, but not all, of the music that is out there today. A lot of it I really do like but a lot of it I have no use for at all.

all these generalisations all the time ;) :grin: :grin:

and what did I nominate this week? ;)

I tried to veiw them Farin but YouTube won't let me :(

blue...unless yours were made from Betty Crockers recipe they most certainly are. We live for occasions calling for edna's brownies! :googly:

But, actually blue, das is right. I meant a more general theme, as in why we are not more tolerant of each others tastes. And by extension those feelings that get personal.

Music is a very personal thing, the fact that so many of us spend so much time here proves that. I think it comes down to appreciation. I may not care for a lot of rap, But I don't care for a lot of classical either. I don't like the themes of some rap, but I don't like the themes of some movies either. To each his own.

I like the idea of being open to new ideas, and I try to practice that. Others may not. That's fine. Opinions are fine, and discussion is educational. As long as it doesn't get personal.

That's what I thought I was doing. Saying why I am more tolerant to some styles and not to others. I am open to new ideas and I have listened to that certain style that I won't mention but I never liked any that I have heard. Simple as that and I guess I can't understand how anybody else can like it either. But my mother said the same thing when I was 16 and she started my car with a Lynyrd Skynyrd tape still in the tape deck. I am passionate about the music of the 60's and 70's,including southern rock,and see no comparison to it and that music that starts with a "R". I can tolerate it but not when people say it's similar to what I grew up listening to as far as culture,ect. I'm sorry but I just can't see it. But I guess the people who like it can't understand how I can listen to Charlie Daniels. By the way Lucky,Duncan Hines are much better. Bet that starts another war. I'm so good at that. ;)

What really ticks me off are people who vehemently slate something which you say you like, while you are happy to dislike whatever they listen to without saying a word.

Since when did liking or disliking something have to become nasty? If someone said something offensive about you personally, then fair enough, but having a go because you disagree about something subjective is rather childish and spoils the fun of what music is about - emotion, motion and feeling groovy.

As an aside, and closer to the gist of the topic - I don't add to the MoC or Top Tens as I fear the music I listen to is just not as well known some of the time. So I focus on promoting the stuff I enjoy in Get The Word Out and "What song are you listening to right now?". But for me, when I did participate:

If it don't float my boat, it don't get my vote :grin: And nothing more needed to be said.