An Observation (yes beating a dead horse)

Lucky

There has been much discussion, some of it very unpleasant about certain music genres. First you all know I am almost sickeningly nice. I don't like dissension, or personal attacks on anyone, or anything. This is however a place for civilized discussion, is it not?

Here is my observation. Many members here love certain types of music genres, and at the very least expect others to be open minded to those genres. A lot of the division seems to fall along Europe vs US lines. Why is that? I consider myself to be openminded to most types of music. There are a few people here that seem almost rabid in their defense of their musical tastes (and you are my friends). That same open mindedness does not appear to extend to genres that they may consider outside of their personal tastes however.

I have a distinct love of Southern and Country Rock. I nominated what is probably THE Southern Rock Anthem of all time in the last Top Ten, and asked that people just listen, as a favor to me. There was not one single comment about it. I would have even welcomed negative comments, but not total disregard. To be honest, that hurt my feelings a bit. I always make a point of listening to everyone's songs, like them or not. That is the point, to give everything a chance, and hopefully discover something that may be new to you.

I'm asking for some real disussion here, not personal attacks, not about what constitutes rock & roll, or music in general, but about why we seem so defensive about what we like and seem so willing to attack or dismiss what we don't.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean Charlie Daniel´s "The South´s gonna do it again"? :P :P

I´m sorry, Lucky, you´re right... I knew the song and I like it but I didn´t post any comments. I should have done it, you did ask for it... I didn´t vote for it either, I might say that as usual, it was a hard Top ten...

I´m posting a youtube link here as the audio file expired... :angel:

Luky, I didn't make a comment on the song you nominated because for the most part I don't like to make comments in the Top 10, just me though...

As for the music I like, I grew up with it and it has become a part of my life. And I even work at a job where I play that music, but I also listen to other music that I love like jazz, the blues, country, soul, and some of todays music...not a lot but some.

As for defending the music I like, we all do that and I feel for me because it is my heart and soul. Something I want to hear on a daily basis, it's there for me when I'm happy, sad, numb, any emotion and the music I love is there, like a friend or lover or whatever. Does that mean what you like is less important, no it is what gets you through your day. And we all need that I think, if we didn't we all wouldn't be talking on SF.

So yes I will defend the music I like when it is under attack, just as I expect everyone else on here to do, but we all need to remember to defend it without being mean to one another, I know, I know...peace and love...but it does help, and it can't hurt. :)

Oh I agree we all need to listen before we make a judgement, but sometimes even after someone has taken a listen to whatever music that is different than theirs, and said it wasn't for them, they get some attitude about not liking it...and that is what I meant about defending your music without hurt and don't make it personal against the other person who might not be turned on by it...if we all liked the same music my God SF would be boring as all get out! :)

I'd like to apologize if anyone ever took something I said as an "attack". I am passionate about little, and snobbish about less, but I take music ridiculously seriously. So I am inclined to feverishly defend what I like. The snobbish part means that I think I have the best taste. :)

The problem I have with this situation is this: I like rap. I think it gets shortchanged far too often. I think a lot of it has to do with people being uninformed about it. I don't think statements like "Well, I've heard several Eminem songs, and I just don't see anything good about rap" are fair. I don't like Lynyrd Skynyrd, but I'm not going to condemn an entire genre because of that. That seems to be what happens. (BTW, that wasn't directed at you, Lucky - just referencing the example you provided.) I can't remember a 10 page topic about the merits of Southern Rock, or Country, or even New Wave and Grunge. There have been comments, I'm sure, but nothing polarizing. For some reason the rap discussions are.

I've expressed distaste for plenty of musicians here - Madonna, Green Day, etc. - but I've never tried to convince anyone that they were wrong for liking them. Except for Peaches and Justin Timberlake, but that's different because someone I like to such a degree should not be a fan of that tool. :)

We, meaning The Noble Songfacts Defenders Of Rap â„¢, have tried to defend the genre civilly, but in the most recent discussion have been met with further antagonistic remarks. Jokes are fine. Lord knows I rarely say anything serious here. But at some point it has to be obvious that we view the jokes as insulting our personal tastes. That's going beyond normal "music discussion".

For the record, I try to avoid personal attacks, and I don't dislike anyone who doesn't agree with what I like. Sometimes you just don't want to hear the jokes/comments anymore, especially when the civil discussion has been long buried.

I too feel badly that I didn't comment on Lucky's nomination of "The South's Gonna Do It Again" by The CDB. That song was and is an anthem much like "Freebird","Green Grass and High Tides","Can't You See" and others. For somebody living in the south during the 70's,the music was a part of our culture and way of life. I think many tend to see that culture and it's music as being "redneck" and nothing more. I voted Lucky's nomination #1 not just because it's a great song but because it was such a part of my culture growing up. I think that's why I become defensive about it when it is slammed on here,including those who have said artists like Charlie Daniels are really country,not rock,because he plays a fiddle of all things. As far as my comments concerning rap in the past,that also has to do with culture. Maybe I don't understand how people can like a music style that is so much about violence,drugs and racism. But that may be because I grew up in a town of less than 600 and live in a town today of maybe 5,000. Again,it's about culture.

Blue:

"For somebody living in the south during the 70's,the music was a part of our culture and way of life."

Ditto today and rap.

"I think many tend to see that culture and it's music as being "redneck" and nothing more."

Where did anyone here say that?

"I think that's why I become defensive about it when it is slammed on here,including those who have said artists like Charlie Daniels are really country,not rock,because he plays a fiddle of all things."

I said that about Charlie, but it was hardly a slam. It was more an observation that he plays a fiddle. :)

"Maybe I don't understand how people can like a music style that is so much about violence,drugs and racism."

All genres of music have the same themes.

I love Charlie Daniel´s myself Lucky. I think it started out being on my list but was one of the one's that got moved off when ppl started nominating more songs. I'll use as an example this weeks nominations. I now have 19 songs I have to decide between and removing one to replace it with another just horrifies me :( But, it is the top 10 so I only get to choose 10.

I can't believe I am going to have to leave off so many of my top favs and I think one of yours in very near the top of my list this week.

As for defending my tastes in music I agree with Jane. Personally my heart belongs to classic rock. The only kind of music I can say I don't go out of my way to listen to is Opera, and Classical. I would never diss it tho and I'm sure a lot of ppl would accuse me of lacking taste. I know my dad would, that's all he ever listened to.

Depending on my mood depends on what I listen to. Might be Country tomorrow (new or old I love both) then again I might be in the mood for some heavy metal or rap :grin:

I don't usually remark on other ppls noms much but that because I didn't really think we were supposed to and I' more of a listener and reader that I am a chatter. I've post more here then I ever have on any other site I have belonged to :laughing:

Please don't have hurt feelings I'm sure no one here meant to make you feel that way :(

"I think many tend to see that culture and it's music as being "redneck" and nothing more."

May I be honest Das? I often feel the same way. It is assuredly not intentional, but, at times attitudes do come across that way. I don't mean to offend, I'm just being honest.

EDIT : Lea, thank you you are sweet (edna and Jane too). I wasn't looking for sympathy, it was just an example. Often a nomination is praised to high heaven, and I just wanted to share my love of that song. No comment at all made me feel as though it was disregarded.

Edited by Guest

Lucky, please do be honest. :) I agree that some people do have that opinion of Southern Rock and Country. I just meant that I haven't seen that here, at least not intentionally.

On a related note, I've seen the Allmans 5 times live. :) So I don't think it's redneck. Of course, I live in South Carolina...

Ok since we are being so honest on here today....Das, just a question...I don't like rap and yes I have listened to it and not just the violent type with the hateful lyrics, but it doesn't turn me on so to speak, so does that offend you since you enjoy rap or do you respect my feelings on why I don't like it? Just wondering...mainly because sometimes, and this is not directed at any one person, but if we say we dont like a genre of music some not many, get upset and don't let it go. So we don't like something, I feel as long as you have tried and listened to another type of music you can be honest on your opinion of it, whether you like it or not. Then move on and let it go...but that is me, I hate tension and riffs...flower child to the end!

:beatnik:

Blue:

"For somebody living in the south during the 70's,the music was a part of our culture and way of life."

Ditto today and rap.

"I think that's why I become defensive about it when it is slammed on here,including those who have said artists like Charlie Daniels are really country,not rock,because he plays a fiddle of all things."

I said that about Charlie, but it was hardly a slam. It was more an observation that he plays a fiddle. :)

"Maybe I don't understand how people can like a music style that is so much about violence,drugs and racism."

All genres of music have the same themes.

When I said "redneck" I didn't mean somebody just came right out and said that. Like Lucky said,sometimes it's implied. And sorry,I'm not buying your contention that rap is like other genres when it comes to violence,ect. Don't think there is a comparison between Snoop Dog and Skynyrd. But I respect your opinion.

if I may say something to that, SJ, it doesn't bother me in the slightest when you or anyone says "I don't like , it's not my music (personal taste, different culture, different youth etc. pp.)" :) :)

BUT, if I have to read something like:

Maybe I don't understand how people can like a music style that is so much about violence,drugs and racism.

then I have to react in some way, because it's an unfair generalisation...

"Well, I've heard several Eminem songs, and I just don't see anything good about rap"

I guess that is what my biggest problem on this subject is. That we all, on both sides of this issue sometimes tend to generalize. I believe that every song, and every artist regardless of "genre" deserves the respect of at least one listen. I hate generalization in any form, whether it be about songs, people, or lifestyles. What I'm getting to is, that hateful of all phrases... Can't we respect one another and just all get along? ;)

Here's a bit for you all.... nasty as they are there are 2 Insane Clown Posse songs that I absolutely adore cause they make me laugh my everlovin' a$$ off! ;)

I love the fiddle and I spent most of my teens in Calif. :)

And seriously, I have a rap song I was gonna nominated for one of the top tens. Looks like no one will vote for it but I'm gonna nominate it away :grin:

And thanks Jane I love the song your playing. Alot.