New Homepage Look

Carl

Sweet Seeker (or fantastic Fintan, if you prefer) noticed that a link to the SF MySpace page isn't on the homepage. Should it be? And how about Facebook? The kids seem to like it. And how about a link to the place you can buy SF merchandise? I think everyone needs a SF thong.

* In my haste to list ways to clutter up the homepage, I forgot to mention that I dig the new look. I love the links to the Amazon MP3 songs. Good work, boss man. :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
I forgot to give Big Daddy Carl his props. Please forgive my egregious transgression. Or don't . See if I care.

I like the new look :thumbsup:

but I have a general question:

when I have feedback or I notice some errors (typos, one song has multiple articles etc. ;) )

what would be the best way to let you know?

email, PT or a post in the forum? :)

eg. I just submitted some (desperatly needed) changes for the english translated lyrics of a German song and recieved the message

"Thank you for sumitting song lyrics.

We will review them and post any changes soon."

:grin: :)

I'm glad you guys noticed the font thing. I think we're using Verdana on Artistfacts, which is kind of standard blog font. My take on fonts has been to not specify the body font figuring the browser knows best (or the user, if (s)he specifies a font preference). Design people, however, say that the standard Times New Roman is designed for print and an sans serif font like Ariel or Verdana works best on computers. For some reason, I think I like the Times New Roman, but it might just be because I've been looking at it so long. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of this.

Farin-

If you notice errors like that, please send a note to feedback@songfacts.com. We recently did an audit of chart positions and found a bunch of other discrepancies, including duplicate entries, but I'm sure there's plenty of typos and such floating around and we do appreciate you guys bringing it to our attention.

TP-

Adding the Facebook, MySpace and store links probably makes sense. We'll need to do some work on the left navigation and maybe add them there, as some of those links are now redundant. We'll probably put one in for the newsletter as well.

Thanks for the feedback and keep it comin'. :)

For some reason, I think I like the Times New Roman, but it might just be because I've been looking at it so long.

it's probably the same for me ;)

btw, I just played with it a bit, and I like it more if the size of the font is reduced by one degree :)

Farin-

If you notice errors like that, please send a note to feedback@songfacts.com. We recently did an audit of chart positions and found a bunch of other discrepancies, including duplicate entries, but I'm sure there's plenty of typos and such floating around and we do appreciate you guys bringing it to our attention.

yes, I noticed that it's fastest if I send a mail :thumbsup:

We'll probably put one in for the newsletter as well.

very good idea :thumbsup:

currently it's not easy to find if you don't know where it is ;)

• 3 weeks later...

We tweaked the page a bit, including a mention of our MySpace site and featuring our Lori McKenna interview. There's also links to our Eagles songs, as we have some great info on songs from their new album.

I'm hoping Lori's interview, which I love, will lead people to read some of the others.

Carl the look of the Homepage is great. I've been busy clicking links... ;)

Like Laurie, I like the feature of The Eagles new album. I wondered if, when we do something like that, the review of the album could be mentioned in some way? maybe even a link? There is a review of the Eagles album in the Review forum, and a good one. That could be a good way to tie in and promote the Album Reviews more prominently.

Just a thought. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: New Facts design

while I'm not a too big fan of the new font ( ;) ), I think I can live with that...

but I don't really like how album and year, (same with the chart positions) are placed in the same line... seems cluttered :P

and it also makes the ads more prominent, imo :P

but the other small things look alright :) :thumbsup:

Well I dunno about the ads becoming more prominent, but I like the new font too. I always prefer fonts that are without serifs.

However I really think the top of the Songfacts looks a bit cluttered. All the information is smooshed up in one line. Earlier there was neat spacing and double breaks (

) between all the little chart/album bits. It looks a bit less 'professional' , you know?

This feedback is very much appreciated. We thought that by condensing the information it would become more clear, but apparently that's not the case. We'll try spreading it out a little and see if that's better.

With the font, we went with Verdana for the text because it seems to be the easiest to read on a screen. The headers (like the song names) are in Sans Serif, which might look a little stale.

We'll probably make some tweaks soon. Always happy to hear your thoughts on this stuff.

I´ll let you hear mine as soon as I use my "normal" computer at work... :cool: I never know if what I get in my screen is what there is or just another old mac cover... :P

I have to stay that I like it like this... for me the information is clear and well spread, maybe except for some free space at the bottom on the right, but that´s a design thing...

Edited by Guest