Slightly irritating technical glitsch

blind-fitter

For over a week now, my PM box has been convinced that I have new PMs, even when I haven't. Initially, the flashing Orange Filing Cabinet appeared all the time I was logged in, and a grey "You have unread Private Topics" pop-up would appear both at point of log-in and whenever I tried to create a new post. I have ironed out the latter part of the problem (following advice from a fellow SFer). However, I am still informed I have "Unread Private Topics"every time I log-in, whether there are any or not. It's becoming slightly vexing.

What can be done?

I have that sometimes when there are still new, unopened PTs in that folder, then it goes away when I click them again... but you probably already tried that :crazy:

one suggestion would be that you expire your cookies - on the top bar click on "Help" --> "My Cookies" and then "Expire Cookies", after that you have to log in again...

try and see if it works :crazy:

I can imagine :P I can't really think of anything to help you in the moment, but maybe you want to uncheck the box for "PT Popup Alert" in your Control Panel (Display Settings), maybe without the popup box it's less unnerving until we get to the core of the problem :crazy:

I do have some waiting to expire, but I don't think it has anything to do with those.

One saturday a few weeks ago, I think I had two Pts on the go simultaneously, and at one point I deferred viewing a new incoming PM, whilst replying to another one, or possibly I overlapped posts with somebody with whom I was conversing. I subsequently went back to view the other PT, but the "Orange flashing File" and "You Have Unread Private Mail" continued to show repeatedly, which went on for days of logging in and logging out again. In the meantime, in an attempt to get to the bottom of the problem, I revisited every active PT I had on the top half of my page (above the ones with "Due for Expiry" warnings): since any "Unread PM" would necessarily have to have been received quite recently and be near the top, wouldn't it? Otherwise I would have been alerted earlier, before that weekend. To this day, I still get notification of an Unread PM the moment I log-in, even though, as far as I can tell, there can't be one as I've checked all "active" PTs going back to ones last used weeks before the problem started. Weird.