So, who should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame??

Yes I am stirring the pot, but what I am looking for is artists that fall into rock and roll or rock...not pop, not disco, not rap, nothing like that...but artists who haven't been given a nomination or induction..

For me...

Kiss

Deep Purple

The Guess Who

The James Gang

Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels

Remember they can only be eligible 25 years after the release of their first album...

Inductee list to date...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bauhaus (invented "goth": got to be worth something.)

Joy Division

Siouxsie & The Banshees

Hawkwind

But on a more serious note: I'd never seen this list of Inductees before. There are quite a number of soul/funk and even disco artists inducted. In the light of this evidence, I'm still puzzled as to why there should be such a furore about top hip-hop artists being admitted, if they meet the other criteria. (The Beastie Boys don't, of course, since their debut album came out only 21 years ago).

But on a more serious note: I'd never seen this list of Inductees before. There are quite a number of soul/funk and even disco artists inducted. In the light of this evidence, I'm still puzzled as to why there should be such a furore about top hip-hop artists being admitted, if they meet the other criteria. (The Beastie Boys don't, of course, since their debut album came out only 21 years ago).

This is what has me confused, the artists that have been inducted that don't have much to do with rock and roll or rock. It seems the members are stretching the lines and I am not sure why when there are plenty of artists who are rock and roll/rock that have not been inducted. Here is their process...

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation’s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 500 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes - and more than 50 percent of the vote - are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

I don't see pop, disco, rap, hip-hop, funk, or anything other than rock and roll mentioned. I feel the members are going for more popular than influence, and not following their own process. Which in my opinion makes the hall look like a joke at times.

I just had time to scan the inductee list so some of these could already be on there:

INXS

The Electric Light Orchestra

The Moody Blues

Van Halen

Bad Company

Alice Cooper

REO Speedwagon

Chicago

And because I think southern rock doesn't have enough representation:

The Outlaws

The Marshall Tucker Band

Several of you have made outstanding choices too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: