So, who should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame??

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm,I think you mean a southern rock band with a little country thrown in.

No. ;)

Actually, gotta go with blue here guys. I was there as well. When Charlie Daniels first came into prominence, it was as a Country/Southern Rock band. The subject matter of Long Haired Country Boy and Uneasy Rider support that. Those songs got no Country Radio airplay whatsoever. They were strictly Southern/Country Rock. As country opened it's arms and embraced more modern rock type sounds, Charlie Daniels became accepted there.

As Charlie has gotten older, and maintained a solo career, he has drifted more into the Country arena, because that's where most of his fan base has drifted. However, The Charlie Daniels Band of 70's fame, was pure Southern Rock.

Edited by Guest
added a bit more

Thank's for backing me up Lucky. In the hey-day of southern rock, The CDB was right there with Skynyrd,The Allman Brothers Band,The Marshall Tucker Band and others. As southern rock's popularity decreased in the music mainstream,many southern rock artist's and their music began to appear on country music stations as the country music industry opened opened up a bit. Charie Daniels was one of these.Others include the Van Zant brothers of Lynyrd Synyrd and .38 Special fame who have scored hits in recent years on the country charts with their group Van Zant. Thank's again Lucky. :thumbsup:

I just want to add to this discussion about southern/rock and country/rock...The Eagles have fallen in their also, the new single is all over the country charts. As have some of their songs in the past. But once again The Eagles and the other artists mentioned above fit into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame more than most of the new nominees.

You're right Shawna, genres will all blur together in the future, and as for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I think they should concentrate on rock music and then stop inducting. Let there be another place for disco, rap, hip-hop, pop and such. People will still vist the hall of fame, I mean it is so cool, so stop inducting artists that don't belong and leave it alone. These nominations have recieve quite a bit of talk not just on here but we talk about it at work quite often, wondering just what is going on with the board members.

Bon Jovi has been on the country charts recently, as well... and Kelly Clarkson now has a hit duet on there with Reba McEntire. The lines are blurring quickly - pretty soon there will be no such thing as genre.

The Bon Jovi one blew my mind. Hard to believe they would have a country crossover hit but I think it's a sign of the times in popular music.