Nick Drake

johnny

Well, as he only has three albums I'd reccomend getting all of them, but here's a quick little guide...

emphasis on quick and little...

I'd reccomend getting Pink Moon first, as it is his masterpiece. I think I wrote a review for it and it's in the review section. I know I've written a review for it, somewhere, and I'll see if I can find it. Basically, it's one of the most beautiful albums you'll ever hear. It's very minimal (it's just Nick Drake playing the guitar), and very short (28 minutes), but the emotion of it is so dense that Drake alone can be more meaningful in under 28 minutes than most full bands can be with hourlong albums. It flows beautifuly from start to finish. I would reccomend listening to it the whole way through, but, if you must pick out certain song highlights I'd say they're the title track, "From the Morning," and "Things Under the Sun," all three of which are some of my favorite songs of all time.

Five Leaves Left is his 2nd best album. It's a bit lighter than Pink Moon (emotionally), but it's more musically interesting, some would say. Even if you don't like Pink Moon (which some people find boring, although I don't understand why), I still would encourage you to check this album out. It's just a great orchestral folk album, one of the best folk albums I've ever heard actually. My favorite songs are "River Man," "Time Has Told Me," and "Man in a Shed."

Bryter Layter is his poppiest album, and probably his least emotional, but it's up against some stiff competition. It might be his most accessible album, but I think it's his third best. It's still great though, it's got very pretty melodies. My favorite songs are "One of These Things First," "Hazy Jane Pt II" and "Northern Sky."

Anyways, it's definitely worth buying all three of his albums, but if you just want to go one at a time, definitely get Pink Moon first. It might be my favorite album of all time.

here's my review, from another website

When I first heard about this album, I decided to listen not because I thought I'd enjoy the music, but because I was curious. I had heard that he only made a 30 minute album because he said he had no more to record. I had heard that Drake was a depressed man. I expected to hear an "interesting" album, and nothing more, but what I got was quite possibly the most beautiful music I've ever heard.

Compared to his first two albums, "Pink Moon" is a big change. "Five Leaves Left" and "Bryter Layter" featured deliciously orchestrated folk pop that had a pure springtime vibe to them. When listening to "Five Leaves Left," you have to admire the musicianship of Nick Drake. But when you listen to "Pink Moon," you forget about musicianship, and just sit in awe of the amazing beauty and emotion that comes from somewhere inside Nick Drake. The first time you listen to "Pink Moon," you forget about all other music, and whatever else is going on in your life or around you, and delve into Drake's soul.

"Pink Moon" is a musical conundrum. Drake was depressed while recording, yet somehow managed to make beautiful music. You can really hear his depression coming out in his music, as he struggles to remain upbeat. Sometimes you find peace in the music, and it's perfect background music for a bright summer day. Sometimes you find bleakness in the music, and it's perfect background music for a gloomy rainy day. However, most of the time (and especially the first time) the music makes you both happy and sad at the same, thus causing your soul to implode.

"Pink Moon" is complex in that it conveys so many emotions at one time, but the music couldn't be simpler. It's just Drake with his acoustic guitar, and a piano break in a song or two. This album showed me the definition of good music. You can add as many interesting things you want to music...fast playing, technical skill, impressive orchestration...but the heart of music is songwriting, and at the end of an album, that's all you really need.