The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #84

Lucky

Oasis song? ... oh yes... way down there ;) :grin:

now, I liked the last two weeks' Tens much more, but I can't be happy everytime, right :)

btw, am I the only one who thinks "We are the Champions" is one of the worst overplayed songs ever? not one Sporting event without it either getting played or, even worse, sung by the winners and fans :crazy: :P

that has caused it being my least favourite Queen song :P

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now, I liked the last two weeks' Tens much more, but I can't be happy everytime, right :)

btw, am I the only one who thinks "We are the Champions" is one of the worst overplayed songs ever? not one Sporting event without it either getting played or, even worse, sung by the winners and fans :crazy: :P

that has caused it being my least favourite Queen song :P

To the first comment, I agree... (it's an ok ten) :P

To the second comment.... I whole heartedly agree!! :bow: :thumbsup:

Oh,and thank God "Gangsta's Paradise" didn't make it in. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Having participated in these Top 10s for what, 18 months now, I have watched week after week of tens filled largely with songs I either don't know or don't particularly care for much, sometimes rueing - but, more commonly, laughing at- the poor performance of my own nominations, occasionally being delighted by a good showing for my own or somebody else's excellent nominations. I can honestly say that in all that time, I have never, ever sat , fingers-crossed, hoping and praying that somebody else's nomination fails to make the Ten. Or gained any satisfaction when this transpired. Pathetic. :thumbsdown:

Yeah !!! Stop picking on my Queen nomination. ;)

I just said to my big rugby mad son "at least they don't play We Are The Champions at real men's sports like Rugby League/Union, just some wussy sports". (Like those where the Announcer is openly rooting for the Home Team).

He said "it was played after the Rugby League Grand Final". Oops. :blush:

As for the Ten: Good nomination Sweet Jane ! I don't even know #s 2 and 3 ! Sorry, we've had a rotten week and I didn't get time to listen to the nominations. Nice to see a few AM Pop Songs in there this week. Solitary Man is one of my favorites of Neil Diamond's, but I would have liked Ma Belle Amie there too. Also, it's great to see the Rod Stewart led Faces' Stay With Me finally make it. I find it difficult to understand why he's only made our Top Ten once solo.

:headphones:

Thread-Crossing Dead Horse Dept.

Honestly, I didn't mean my comment in a bad way.

I've got some 'splaining to do when the results are in.

You see, even though I ‘m hella old, I enjoy a considerable amount of Hip-Hop, including clever rhymes, scratching, and creative sampling.

My issue with Gangsta’s Paradise is that the music is Stevie Wonder’s composition.

yes, Gangsta's Paradise is an official reworking of Stevie Wonders' song

I don’t know in what way it is “officialâ€. I saw Coolio on TV in the days around when he was presented a Grammy, and there was never any recognition of Pastime Paradise. Most web articles about Coolio or the song make no mention of Stevie Wonder. It seems ironic that Coolio whined when Weird Al turned it into Amish Paradise.

Saw Coolio performing 'live' at the Phoenix Festival (Stratford, UK) with full band, (string sections and all) in 1996. Really good as far as I recall.

Coolio was really good at that particular Live Music Festival, and it definitely was music.

I’m sure I would have enjoyed that performance as well. It just seemed to me that Coolio had been a bit too willing to grab the praise. I think, aside from Stevie Wonder, tremendous credit is also due to whomever arranged the orchestration for Coolio’s production.

Oh,and thank God "Gangsta's Paradise" didn't make it in.

Oh, and I don’t want to be associated with that remark in any way.

I just enter my little trivial songs and root for them to win. Like my little babies going off on their own to see if they will retrn from war. But so far no good samaritans have taken them in, fed them, and returned them to their home. They've all gotten sucked up and kicked aside instead.

But I'll keep plugging along. Maybe one day I'll throw something out there that will have the masses clamoring for a piece. I can dream.

well, I guess with "official" I meant that they didn't make any secret about it - even if they didn't really mention it too much...

but I admit that after checking it out, I'm quite surprised that Stevie Wonder was really only mentioned in passing - even with the songwriter credits :crazy:

so all in all, more capitalistic than I would like, but objectively not really surprising either :P :crazy:

This is what bother's me. I like this song, and I like Stevie's original. What bother's me is the lack of acknowledgement (that seems somewhat across the board by some modern artists of today) of the roots and influence's that the past has had on their music. A lack, at times, of originality. Even the lack of originality doesn't bother me, it's the lack of acknowledgement. That puts me off a bit, and will taint my opinions of an artist, and their music. I'm open to a lot, and don't mind saying so, but artists should at least give credit where credit is due.

But the idea is good !!! The original composers should be given credit.

I wonder if these rappers pay any royalties to the original Composers ? I think it depends on how much of the original song they "sample" ?

I believe David Bowie, Freddie Mercury and Brian May had to take action, or threaten to, against Vanilla Ice to be listed as co-composers of 'Ice Ice Baby', which of course 'sampled' the 'Under Pressure' riff.

At least Puff Daddy and Faith Evans listed Sting as co-composer of 'I'll Be Missing You' ('Every Breath You Take'). One of the few rap songs I like.

Not that rappers would be the first to 'sample' others' music. :P

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #84 for the week ending 14th October 2007

1. Tangerine - Led Zeppelin (1970)

2. Runnin' Down A Dream - Tom Petty (1989)

3. John Barleycorn Must Die – Traffic (1970)

4. 867-5309/Jenny - Tommy Tutone (1982)

5. Stay With Me - The Faces (1971)

6. We Are The Champions – Queen (1977)

7. Monkey Man - The Rolling Stones (1969)

8. Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon and War (1970)

9. D'you Know What I Mean? – Oasis (1997)

10. Solitary Man - Neil Diamond (1966)

moving right along... ;)