Big Day Out

lonelyday

The first announcement has been made for the Big Day Out(a 1day music fest in NZ and Aus).

So far the lineup includes:

Rage Against the Machine

Bjork

Arcade Fire

Shihad

LCD Sound System

Dizzee Rascal

Billy Bragg, The Clean, Katchafire, The Phoenix Foundation, SJD, Grinspoon, Cut Off Your Hands, Hilltop Hoods, Paul Kelly, Battles, Young Sid, Antagonist, Motocade, White Birds and Lemons

Quite a few of those are local aussie and kiwi acts but i'm really excited that Rage are headlining.

Whatya think? :D

• 1 month later...

New acts have been announced...lotsa kiwi ones as well as groups from all over...

Spoon, Brand New, Anti-Flag, Carl Cox, Kate Nash, Shy Child, Enter Shikari, Operator Please, Unkle (live), Krafty Kuts & MC Dynamite, Die! Die! Die!, The Nightwatchman (Tom Morello acoustic), Dr Octagon with Kutmaster Kurt, Aceyalone, Op Shop, Pluto, Scribe, Liam Finn, Tiki Tanne, Havoc, Collapsing Cities, Bleeders, Supergroove, The Checks and Dam Native

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yup i'm going to next years one...also went to this years and last years...coz it really is worth the price considering that it is a whole day of live music for about the price of a single concert really.

I loved this years one, although for me it was more about seeing Muse and The Violent Femmes.

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd post some thoughts on this years BDO here instead of starting a whole new topic thing. first things first, it was AWESOME.

It had a massive lineup. My favourites of the day were:

MUSE- While I'm not overly keen on some of their newer hits, this was still my top act of the day. Their laser light show was AMAZING- the most impressive lighting I have seen at BDO. And they just rocked as they always do, playing some truly epic songs, like New Born along with the newbies. Every time I see them they leave me with that awesome high that you only get from seeing a great live performance.

THE DECEMBERISTS- My second fave of the day. These guys are great and the lead singer is really funny in a nerdy and adorable way. They had a middle of the day slot, but managed to pull a decent crowd. It was a fantastic fun show, and at one stage the lead singer managed to request and succeed in getting everyone in the audience to sit on the ground. I hope they come back to NZ sometime soon to have their own show.

GIRL TALK: This guy has soooooooo much energy!! It was a really fun show. He got audience members on the stage dancing and all his mashups were spot on. And he was dancing and jumping all over- up and down on his desk and everything the entire show, showing he loves his music as much as the audience did.

I also saw Lily Allen, The Mars Volta, Dizzee Rascal, Peaches (who managed to walk on the audience and apparently asked everyone in the audience to take off their shirts and they obliged...but we'd already left for another act at that stage), Midnight Youth, Temper Trap, Passion Pit, The Horrors and Devendra Banhart.

It was an awesome day in the sun with awesome friends and awesome music. I definitely suffered awesomeness-withdrawal on having to go back to work the next monday.