I'm just wondering....

johnny

Since The Cure have been in "Heal or Hurt" they've been getting "Hurt" alot more than "Healed".

I'm just wondering why people dislike (or like) them?

I'm not much of a fan, but that could be because of a lack of exposure

I think that's the answer you're looking for.

You know, when I'm coming up with new bands for you folks to choose from, it always seems like a struggle to meet both ends of the stick: the more modern, alternative rock people of the 90s (like yourself), and the older, more laided-back 60s group. Whenever a modern band is added, odds are they quickly fall in a few days. The 90s people talk to me about the disadvantage of this, so I cut them a break and usually try to make one of the choices a band they're more familiar with, but since this site is so pro-classic oldies, those people don't understand it and kill them off.

At least, that's what I think.

I have been listening to them since the early eighties, seen them, wrote about them, I never met Smith though (or maybe I did? I don´t remember... the 80s were very intense...) and I payed no attention to them. In the 90s everybody around me worshiped them and somehow I started to like them. Now I think they´re very good. They have been quite original. Not the punk band anymore whose leader used to lend a hand to Siouxsie when she toured or was in the studio...

The 90s people talk to me about the disadvantage of this, so I cut them a break and usually try to make one of the choices a band they're more familiar with, but since this site is so pro-classic oldies, those people don't understand it and kill them off.

At least, that's what I think.

Ooh Ry, I don't think that's it at all. Take a look at the game. I don't think it's the older people that kill them off, I think it's the other way around. I don't believe I've ever hurt them. I think it's the younger people responsible for hurting them. I don't know them. They are not a new band, by any means, they just don't play my kind of music. Y'all don't hear me complaining that "everyone's hurting the Eagles or Seger" do you? Sometimes it seems to me that the younger people want us older ones to be open minded about their music (again The Cure is NOT new), but many of the younger ones refuse to give an older (classic or not) band a shot at all. I feel a little reverse discrimination upon occaision myself.

I don't know that the site is pro-classic at all. Pro good maybe... :jester:

Ry..... :laughing:

I'd say they're one of the most worthwile bands of the 80's

Batman, I realize you are talking about the Cure.... but, I'll take this opportunity to tell y'all. I like any chance I can get to promote Beefheart!

Ry, Don Van Vliet, who is generally accepted as being sheer genius (read that odd) left and the band disbanded in '82. They released their first recordings in 1966, the first being a version of Bo Diddley's Doo Wah Diddy. Their best known album (but just one of many) is Trout Mask Replica, and it was released in '69. By the way, the album is #58 on Rolling Stone's Top 500. If that means anything. They aren't Rock 'n' Roll...but I like 'em! :grin:

Edited by Guest