Sharing Files can bring you trouble...

edna

from Reuters:

NEW YORK/LONDON (Reuters) - The recording industry has won a major fight in its effort to stop illegal music downloading with a U.S. jury decision to impose $222,000 damages against a Minnesota woman who used a Web service to share music.

Although industry commentators are divided over what impact the case will have on stemming illegal downloads globally, the size of the damages is significant -- nearly 80 times higher than the average European settlement figure in such a case.

The jury in the civil case in the U.S. District Court of Minnesota on Thursday found Jammie Thomas infringed copyrighted song recordings, and awarded damages of $9,250 for each of the 24 recordings cited.

The verdict marked the first jury trial in the U.S. industry's drive to combat piracy with lawsuits against an individual.

According to court documents, the record companies sued Thomas in April 2006 after 1,702 music files involving artists such as Green Day, Aerosmith and Guns 'N' Roses were traced to a computer tied to her. A year earlier, investigators had located an individual with the screen name "tereastarr@KaZaA" using the Kazaa file-sharing software program.

"This individual was downloading copyrighted sound recordings from other users of the Kazaa network, and was distributing copyrighted sound recordings stored on her computer to other Kazaa users," the plaintiffs said.

Thomas, in documents, denied the allegations of the complaint "that relate to any allegations that she ever used any (peer-to-peer) network, including Kazaa."   Continued...

Read more...

the 200,000$ playlist

artist song damages in € prize on iTunes in € prize on musicload in €

Aerosmith - Cryin' 6.554 0,99 1,29

Bryan Adams - Somebody 6.554 0,99 1,29

Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me 6.554 0,99 1,29

Destiny's Child - Bills, Bills, Bills 6.554 0,99 1,29

Gloria Estefan - Coming Out of the Dark 6.554 0,99 1,29

Gloria Estefan - Here We Are 6.554 0,99 1,29

Gloria Estefan - Rhythm is Gonna Get You 6.554 0,99 1,29

Goo Goo Dolls - Iris 6.554 0,99 1,49

Green Day - Basket Case 6.554 0,99 1,29

Guns 'N' Roses - November Rain 6.554 0,99 1,29

Guns 'N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle 6.554 0,99 1,29

Janet Jackson - Let's wait Awhile 6.554 0,99 1,49

Journey - Don't Stop Believing 6.554 0,99 -

Journey - Faithfully 6.554 0,99 1,29

Linkin Park - One Step Closer 6.554 0,99 1,49

No Doubt - Hella Good 6.554 0,99 1,29

No Doubt - Bathwater 6.554 0,99 1,29

No Doubt - Different People 6.554 0,99 1,29

Reba McEntire - One Honest Heart 6.554 0,99 1,29

Richard Marx - Now and Forever 6.554 0,99 1,49

Sara McLachlan - Building a Mystery 6.554 0,99 1,29

Sara McLachlan - Possession 6.554 0,99 1,29

Sheryl Crow - Run Baby Run 6.554 0,99 1,29

Vanessa Williams - Save the Best for Last 6.554 0,99 1,29

Congrats for the Industry for finding a new line of business: not sueing the people, no that would take too much time and costs (this one is only needed as a precedent) - no, they're simply threatening the people to sue them, if they shouldn't agree to pay maybe 75$ per song...

I heard that entire law firms are doing nothing but sending hundreds of such letters out every day...

who cares if CD sales are dropping, right? ;) :crazy:

I understand about cd sales dropping, and I'm torn on this issue. Just how many times do the artists and labels want me to puchase the same music? I've puchased some of it on LP, 8 track, cassette tape and now cd. Has anyone thought of that? With each new advancement in technology, I have to repurchase the same song. Doesn't quite seem fair. I have paid for downloads, and I've gotten some from peer sharing. As I said, I'm torn. I will say that that any albums I've ever downloaded were puchased outright. :P

Just how many times do the artists and labels want me to puchase the same music? I've puchased some of it on LP, 8 track, cassette tape and now cd. Has anyone thought of that? With each new advancement in technology, I have to repurchase the same song.

I totally agree with you, Lucky. Same for me here. Maybe I didn´t buy the tapes (I taped some albums for my friends and they did the same for me) or my albums were promo stuff, but I certainelly had to buy many LPs twice, and three times even... they were "used"... then bought the cds too... and burned many as well (till my burner died over a year ago... :P )

it didn't get her in trouble that she downloaded some songs - the trouble is that she uploaded them (ie offered them to other users)

Good point... :cool:

So can they still catch you if your downloading or can they only find you if your uploading....

Anyone know....??

the problem is that with a peer to peer program you do both simultanously all the time, but that doesn't really matter anyway, because

they could find you both ways, as soon as you come to their site (log on a server) they know your IP adress, your Operating System, what Browser you're using and maybe some other things too...

there is no such thing as anonymity on the internet

even though the courts in Germany made some other decisions as the US courts, it's still all a grey area - I'm not using them

no

you also have to realise that probably millions of people use P2P, so the effort to get everyone is much too great for them, and I believe they're mainly concentrating on people who use them extensively (as in a couple hundred or more songs)

still, I would use other means, like friends, this site (though it's probably not as easy with IE, since you can't directly download opened mp3's there), sites that search through music blogs or download youtube vids (or only as mp3)

:)