Singers or not??

golden_ann

Who do you all think HAD to get a recording contract based on something other than vocal talent? I would like to know who thought that Bob Dylan's "distinctive" voice was what the world needed!! LOLAlso, Cyndi lauper leaves something to be desired..uhh Something like William Hung, the American Idol reject

Well I have always believed there is ONE word that can sum-up the reason for todays "Pop-singers" , ie. Britney, Jessica Simpson, Avril, Kelly Osborne for her ONE whole song "Papa Don't Preach", rising to super-stardum : MONEY!!!

Oh and lets not forget the BOY bands...same thing! They ALL grew up in wealthy homes and their parents had the money to buy their children's way in.

None of them, I guarantee, have a story such as Jewl's. She lived in a van down in Ocean Beach, California, played music on the street for money or in coffee shops when she was lucky and was finally discovered by "Flea" from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Even though Jewl has let it go to her head now, which is unfortuante, I've always appreciated her music. Because she can sing AND play the guitar. Something all of these little teeny-bopper "IDOLS" don't do...and half the time they don't even REALLY sing on stage and when they do they are horribly TONE-DEAF!...I find the whole thin tragic.

golden ann, I would like to know you're opinion on who are actually talented singers. Dylan's "distinctive" voice fits the type of songs that he sings and writes. He's a writer that sings. He has never been considered a singer per say. There is a difference. Very few talented singers write thier own songs. And in my opinion, Lauper has a great voice. Her choice of songs wasn't always the best but I don't think you can fault her voice. I agree about the teenyboppers. The young singers of today don't seem to have any new style to add to the music world.