The Beatles

Mike

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listened to the audio book McCartney: Yesterday and Today at work tonight. Very disappointing. I think I wasted my money on that one.

I was kind of surprised I didn't like it at all because I had really liked The Beatles: The Biography.

I'm such a Beatles fan I didn't think any book about them would be a complete disappointment:(

The McCartney book focused on how upset he was that Michael Jackson owns The Beatles Catalog and refuses to sell it back. I can't really blame him for feeling that way. But, to ok someone (Ray Coleman) to write a whole book about the way your business dealing were mishandled is to say in the least somewhat a bore.

90% of the book was about bad business management. The author also implies that until McCartney wrote and recorded Yesterday nobody paid much attention to the Beatles. Can't say I agree with that at all.

I guess the vague publisher's summary should have tipped me off :blush: The only good thing I can say about it is it was short :laughing: .

But I still love um :D I'm just surprised Paul authorized it.

But on a brighter note, Yesterday is an excellent song :thumbsup:

The McCartney book focused on how upset he was that Michael Jackson owns The Beatles Catalog and refuses to sell it back. I can't really blame him for feeling that way. But, to ok someone (Ray Coleman) to write a whole book about the way your business dealing were mishandled is to say in the least somewhat a bore.

For myself being a great Beatles fan, I never turn a blind eye to the fact that Paul's head is too big to walk through a normal door entrance. I still think that he wants more of the credit of 'The Beatles' than what he perceives from the masses. You know Paul, the Beatles wasn't a one-man band so get off that high horse. You were just as important to that band as the other lads. Without Ringo, you wouldn't have had the magnificent playing (and charm) of his input, especially in tunes like "Rain," "Paperback Writer," "A Day in the Life," etc. Without George, I wouldn't of been able to hear your superb craftsmanship (bass) to "Old Brown Shoe," "Something," etc. And John - you gotta admit you played some of the best bass lines in rock history to "Rain," "I Want You (She's So Heavy"," etc.

Just to remind everyone, it was Paul who suggested to Michael (before the actual Beatles catalogue went up for bid) to 'buy' music catalogs when the moment was right. Sure enough, when part of (The Beatles) catalogue was up, Michael grabbed at the chance. I heard a couple things that I'm not absolute sure about so I'll mention it now and hopefully someone can shed more light -

- Paul also bid for the catalogue but didn't have the financial backing at the time (?!?!?!?)

- I heard Lawrence Welk was another bidder.

In the book Paul kind of blames Yoko Ono because she told him they could get it for 5mil instead of the 20mil that was being asked for it. So they waited and Jackson got it. He says he thought MJ was just kidding about buying the catalogue so he didn't think mush about it after their first conversation.

The book also said Paul was told by his legal people it would take time to come up with that much cash. I think that was why he approached Yoko. The book says he approached her because a lot of the songs were Johns and he felt morally obligated to make the offer to go 50/50 with her.

I still got the feeling he approached her because he didn't want to come up with all the needed money his self.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My top 2 are:

1.Let It Be

2.Yesterday

But I love so many Beatles songs that I could make a case for at least 50 others to be #3.

And while I love both of those Harrison songs, as well as another of my favorite Harrison songs you left out, Here Comes the Sun, he's not even close to either John or Paul as a songwriter.

• 3 weeks later...

What am impossible question to answer. Being a fan of The Beatles since I can remember, how could I pick only one song? Almost as difficult as someone saying you have 10 kids, pick your favorite, can't be done. For me, it changes almost daily depending on my mood. So I won't pick just one song leaving out all the others that touch my heart.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...