So much more than Random Thoughts

_Laurie_

I have three kids (one in college, a HS junior and a sophmore). Before the oldest one started college, and based on their ages, I was going through an 8 year period starting with no kids in college and ending with all three graduated. Average college costs are about $25,000 annually per kid. That's $100,000 per kid and $300,000 for all three. Divide that by the 8 years of schooling and we are talking about $37,500 annually for school for each of the 8 years.

That's before I spend a penny on anything else.

So the original premise was the hope for more money when you get older...true enough...but oh how it flies out the door.

I went to Georgia State University and I think I went about $50,000-$60,000 in debt just to graduate, and that included tuition, housing and fees. I had to live on campus since I don't drive and if I didn't live on campus there's no way I'd be able to get to class.

My sister is about close to that right now and she's only a Junior.

Oh man! It must be fun to see your peers and compare them with how they were 30 years ago!

And on the money front, things do look depressing. The upside, however, is the fact that I am making a decent amount of money right now and I pay for things with cash or debit card. I don't believe in credit cards so I don't own one.I know myself quite well; credit cards will only increase my unnecessary expenses. My investment in the stock market is looking moderately healthy....not if I could only afford to pay 12,375 pounds for my masters I'd be in London right now :(

(wow that turned out quite long)

It is going to be interesting that's for sure...I went to my 10 year reunion, but not the 20 year....One of my co-workers graduated in my class also...she's in charge of finding everyone..She wanted to know if I still have my yearbook, and I do...I have all of them!...I dug out my senior yearbook and it's so funny reading what everyone wrote...I notice my co-worker never signed my yearbook back then!...so when I brought it to work today, I walked in the office with it and said "Um Debbie, you need to sign my yearbook ya know?"...and she laughed and said "Oh sure, 30 years later, and now you ask me"...LOL :D

My 30 year high school reunion is this year...God I'm old... :crazy:

No, you're not, you're the best and the youngest!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Of course, I'm six years older than you so my 35th High School Reunion -we live in different countries- will be held whenever people can... and little by little :laughing:

We' re organising it all through Facebook. I'm meeting people I met when I was four or less... :)

Too bad the meetings are in Buenos Aires, Paris, New York, San Francisco...

My dad recently went to his 60th reunion. Granted it was a small town, and the graduation class was very small to begin with, but there were only 14 people at the reunion. How very depressing, on the one hand, but then again, how good would it make you feel to be one of the ones remaining?