Announcements

edna

• 2 weeks later...

We'd like to welcome Ben (you know him as RockyRaccoon) as our new(est) Songplaces writer! :grin: He's written two articles for Songplaces so far and already made himself invaluable!

Take some time to have a read:

Pretty Girl From Annapolis by the Avett Brothers

(His second article is "Aladdin Sane" by Bowie, which I haven't had time to upload yet.) Good stuff. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today's the International Holocaust Remembrance Day

and after a recent survey 21% of the Germans below 30 don't know what to associate when they hear "Auschwitz" :(

musical interlude: Rappoport's Testament: I Never Gave Up

[spoilerq:1]lyrics[/spoilerq]

[spoilera:1](Chorus)

And if you survive me

I Never gave up

Tell them this

I Never gave up

And if you survive me

I Never gave up

Tell them this

Almost as if I were planning ahead

I drank, I ate, I made love

I learnt to snatch whatever I could

I never asked for pity and I never gave up

(Chorus)

Twenty months I kept accounts

And in the end they'll balance out

Sometimes I vomit happy memories

Sometimes I laugh out loud just to crack my face

(Chorus)

And if I meet Hitler in the other place

I'll spit this precious soup in his face

And all my accounts will be settled, you see

'Cause Hitler never ever got the better of me

(Chorus)

I never gave up, I never gave up

I crawled in the mud but I never gave up

(Repeat to fade)[/spoilera]

That's interesting. I had a German exchange student once and he, as well as many of my German language teachers, have told me that the history of the Nazi's and how terrible they were is drilled into their heads year after year in school until they can't stand it anymore.

Some of my german friends told me exactly the same. One of my best friends for decades was even seeing a shrink... :P

Nobody (americans, french, south-americans, chinese, etc) should forget what happened, yet young Germans are not guilty of what their great-grandparents did. It's good to be known if that avoids that it could happen again.

But who knows...

Half of my mother's family disappeared in Europe after WWII (now we know they died in the camps)

Hate to make it sounds like it's one and the same, but when you live in South Africa you don't go a day without it being drilled into your head how people suffered (and apparently are still suffering even though they weren't even born at the time...) of the horrors of Apartheid & slavery. Now, I have never had my own slave (neither has anyone I have even known) or made someone show me their travel papers before (neither has anyone I have even known) but I am constantly made to feel guilty (and punished) for the fact that years & years ago - it happened.

For a country of people who are always drilling it into our heads we need to think of the future, everyone working together hand in hand, but they seem to be living in the past & working hard on building resentment between people.

Isn't it more important to know about the past, learn from its mistakes, ensure they never happen again AND LIVE IN THE NOW???

:soapbox:

Isn't it more important to know about the past, learn from its mistakes, ensure they never happen again AND LIVE IN THE NOW???

:soapbox:

Absolutelly.

Same thing happens here with the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) people are still fighting over shall we search, judge, etc?

I haven't been in Argentina for 40 years but it's the same with the 30.000 missing people (some of them were friends of mine in school, we grew together...)

I thnk as things are right now, we should learn the lesson and focus in the present and near future.