Announcements

edna

You´re not planning to kill a bear, are you? :P :P A Grizzly?? :puppyeyes: Why? They live there, minding their own business and they don´t deserve to be shot by people who have nothing better to do... you can go camping but why kill an animal??? :stars:

I agree to use a gun as a defensive thing against evil persons who attack you. But animals are not evil...

Nothing wrong with a father, who knows that his child is mature enough, introducing him to something he enjoys. I do not see anything that I would think of as disturbing. They are in a range, safety precautions are being taken and Mikey's boy had a good time. If he was curious about firearms, it is better that he learn under controlled circumstances than finding out on his own. I get the feeling as if you think everyone who enjoys shooting is some kind of ignorant redneck who is looking for a cross to burn. Or am I off target? :shades:

I understand that people that have not grown up around firearms may feel uncomfortable with them, or even not like seeing someone else enjoying them. I cant help but feel like I, and the other gun friendly people here, are being looked down on just a bit. I am used to it, though, living in California.

I don't think a kid should enjoy something that was designed to kill. And supported by his father, no less.

I won´t get into the debate about guns. But to go on about the bears, I actually know about the grizzly´s behaviour with tourists and so, even about the fact that sometimes they get near to places where people live. I´ve worked in the production of a documentary about them some years ago and had to learn something about that problem. Yet I personally would go camping somewhere where I wouldn´t be attacked by a grizzly. It´s like going to a beautiful place but oh, there´s a wolf! So let´s kill it... That´s not the right thing to do, at least for me...

Edit: I also agree with Fin and Tim and Radhi, but I understand that´s a personal point of view. I won´t debate how to raise a child.

Now, I love bears (don´t get me wrong :grin: ) and I m concerned about wild life...

Edited by Guest

I have to respectfully disagree. Songfacts is a multi-cultural place, yes? I understand that guns are not part of your cultures, but they are very much a part of mine, and obviously others as well.

Mickey, I was pleased to see the photo of your son getting proper instruction as to the use of guns. My sons all recieved .22's (rifles, not handguns) as children, along with hunter education courses. All were deer hunting at the age of 11. My grandson got his .22 for Christmas this year (he's 9). He'll be in the woods this fall with his uncles & grandpa (having graduated from required hunter/gun education) . Guns aren't frightening in and of themselves, the people that use them are. If you live in a culture that supports the use of guns, it's only right that kids recieve proper education in their use.

edna, I don't think that Mickey is going grizzley hunting per say. I think the gun is for protection against the grizzley, should it be necessary.

EDIT: I didn't mean that to sound preachy, or that I was promoting guns in any way. That's a personal choice. I was just pointing out the differences in cultures.

Edited by Guest

I actually meant the sub-culture of a country family. Where the children grow up to follow the traditions of their fathers and grandfathers, hunting. It's a great way for kids to bond, and great education. Kids that are brought up this way have a great respect for firearms and nature as well. I'm proud to be one of such a culture.

I did not mean any sort of culture that would support the frivolous use of guns in any fashion.

edna, I don't think that Mickey is going grizzley hunting per say. I think the gun is for protection against the grizzley, should it be necessary.

I know, Lucky. I didn´t mean that they would be hunting bears, of course... :shades: I pointed that bears are animals that I personally love, and thus I dislike the idea of killing a grizzly.

I won´t discuss hunting or camping or the use of weapons or anything like this (and not here, in any case) because I was born, raised and live under some circumstances that have little to do with other people´s. I have my own beliefs -like the other songfactors- and keep part of them to myself when it comes to defend them or not -like the other songfactors as well. Yet I am friends with you and I believe that we have much in common... :cool: ;) You wouldn´t do things I do, as I wouldn´t do things others do as others wouldn´t do things Mike does, etc.

So god bless the good people and hope Mike won´t find a grizzly when he´s camping. For his sake, for his child´s sake and for the grizzly´s sake... :cool:

If he was curious about firearms, it is better that he learn under controlled circumstances than finding out on his own.

That is exactly where parents that keep guns make

their mistake and children die. They don't train their childern.

To many are likely to make some big mystery out of guns and it makes kids curious and fascinated

instead of cautious and educated. If you allow a child to handle a gun with you, they are less

likely to do it if you aren't there.

Our daughter was trained and schooled in weapon

handling since she was old enough to hold one.

Hunter safety the whole nine yards. Guns do not

fascinate her.

She gets very angry if she sees some moron that

doesn't have a clue messing with a gun. She was

taught all guns are to be considered loaded until

she has properly checked it and even then you

handle it as if it can kill. She is so used to

having guns around her it's old hat. Guns are

just a tool.

I actually meant the sub-culture of a country family. Where the children grow up to follow the traditions of their fathers and grandfathers, hunting. It's a great way for kids to bond, and great education. Kids that are brought up this way have a great respect for firearms and nature as well. I'm proud to be one of such a culture.

I did not mean any sort of culture that would support the frivolous use of guns in any fashion.

It's the same with me Lucky. Both DH and myself

were raised around guns and my DH is an avid

hunter. Me on the other hand...no. I have no

heart for killing even if it is for food. My

daughter has hunted but does it rarely but still

has her 30-30.

However, I do believe some guns don't belong in

our culture. Like the ousie(sp) or the new

fangled machine guns. I see no use for such guns

except in a war. And wars are very bad

things :puppyeyes:

Guns don't scare me but the hand holding it can be very scary :couch:

I didn't say anyone was

it was only that something I read here made me think of a specific scene in the book - as you (rightfully) mentioned we're from different cultures in that aspect...

for me guns are just tools made to kill :(

I think I'll be quiet now :crazy:

Woooohooo 30,000 posts!....Edna, may I have some brownies now? :D

This was my original pie chart from Feb of 2006. I suppose I need to update it to include all things salami. :grin:

Laurie, here's a pie chart of your posts.

1] percentage of Badfinger posts

2] percentage of missing posts

3] percentage of "The Shawna & Laurie Show" posts

4] percentage of other posts

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

laurie2al.png

McCain is siding with the poor little ' Georgians ' against the evil might of the nasty U.S.S.- er , Russia .

Prisoner of war experiece : 100 %

Priviledged and over -hyped senator experience : 100%

Knowledge of anything new in the world in the last 10 years : 10% - at best .

I remember a time- way back before people called each other ' hero', for normal acts of kind behavior or duty- back when being captured was met with an embarrassing silence; though you weren't a disgrace , per se ... but, ... John Wayne was never a POW ! He'd have eaten his captors alive ! :laughing: :laughing:

I remember that time too, Kev. Being captured is an unfortunate occurrence of war. Upholding the US Military Code Of Conduct while in captivity is an American soldier's duty. While admirable (especially under horrid circumstances) it is not considered to be heroic by most.

In any event it is certainly not Presidential in or of itself and seems cheap to use in commercials. Desperate almost.