Announcements

edna

tHE ONLY FIRE i HAVE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT AS FAR AS ORIGIN HAS BEEN THE mALIBU FIRE. tHAT WAS CAUSED BY WIRES DOWN. wE HAVE HAD VERY STRONG WINDS FOR THE LAST 24 HRS (THERE HAVE BEEN BURSTS THAT WERE CLOCKED AT 104 MPH!) tHERE WAS ALREADY A LOT OF DAMAGE IN THE AREA FROM THE WIND BEFORE THE FIRES STARTED. i KNOW A FEW PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN EVACUATED ALREADY. i HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO THE TACTICAL RADIO FREQUENCY BEING USED, AND IT IS REALLY BAD OUT THERE RIGHT NOW.

my good friend (who I went to New Orleans with) lost her family home in the Cedar fire a few years ago. It's only been in the past 4 months that they've been able to get their home rebuilt and begin moving into it, and tonight they had to evacuate all their stuff again. And Mom says the winds are about 60 mph out there...

We are in the fire evacuation zone but there's gridlock everywhere so we are hunkered down at home as the fires are a little to the northeast of us but moving our way. We have some blue sky to the south of us and dense smoke to the north of us. We have a fine coating of soot and ash everywhere. We're packed up and ready to leave if the wind pushes the fire closer to us.

There's 8 fires in San Diego county right now.

On the tv, we're finally seeing the planes and helicopters attacking the fire lines dropping retardant. The winds were too strong for the last 24 hours for them to go up.

Well, the fires up by my house are moving away from from us, but the wind can change that at any moment. I think we will be OK, though. The fire guys are saying that the three fires in my area are expected to join up and create one big fire sometime today or tomorrow. They say that is good, though, as it presents one big front to fight instead of several. We are on 12 hour shifts at work until further notice. I am on a response team, so I will probably be going out to either Malibu or Santa Clarita today. Should be interesting.

Old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

No, Lucky, I do not have any inside information on the fires down there. I have been keeping my hands pretty full with the stuff going on in my jurisdiction. I feel for all of the people that are being evacuated down there (I have an aunt and uncle who have been evacuated)and who have lost property.

All our best thoughts and energies to all of you who live or have relatives and friends there... :P :P :P

They don´t seem to talk very much about it in Spanish TV... except to talk about the Hollywood stars who have houses detroyed by the fire...