Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees...well kind of Rock and Roll!

Sweet Jane 61

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole point of this discussion has been about if The Beastie Boys deserve to be in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I will always say no,they don't. While "Fight For Your Right" was a good song,I was 25 at the time of it's release and without a doubt I partied to the song,I in no way feel it's enough to get them into the hall. Should they be in the hip hop hall of fame or rap hall of fame? Sure,but not the rock and roll hall. They didn't do enough,in my opinion,to even deserve a nomination.

I agree BnW, they don't need to be in the Rock and Roll Hall or deserve a nomination, just as Madonna doesn't or Donna Summer. The Hall of Fame is just wacked out anymore! :P

Fair enough; but you did suggest incredulity at the notion of the words "Beastie Boys" and "genius" being juxtaposed anywhere other than in my imagination. ;)

I will continue to stand by my opinion that very few who listen to music would use the word "genius" when describing The Beastie Boys and their music.

I hardly listen to the Beastie Boys and I know that's absolutely incorrect. ye gads... they're HUGE! AND they're in the rock n' roll hall of fame, now (almost). The biggest names in the business think they're genius! And THEY influence most of the music listening population.

I hardly listen to the Beastie Boys and I know that's absolutely incorrect. ye gads... they're HUGE! AND they're in the rock n' roll hall of fame, now (almost). The biggest names in the business think they're genius! And THEY influence most of the music listening population.

Being "Huge" doesn't mean they are genius or that their music is. Britney Spears is or was huge,is her music genius? No.

I will continue to stand by my opinion that very few who listen to music would use the word "genius" when describing The Beastie Boys and their music.

I can't help feeling you're basing your judgement of The Beasties and their music on their "cartoon" debut album "Licenced To Ill", rather than a stream of critically acclaimed and influential works they have subsequently released, of which you may be less than aware.

This whole discussion has no answer.... but since it all falls to opinion in the end let me state clearly... The Beasties in my mind are not Rock. Y'all are entitled to your opinions, but I don't think that have influenced any of the artists that I listen to, or categorize as Rock.

I can't help feeling you're basing your judgement of The Beasties and their music on their "cartoon" debut album "Licenced To Ill", rather than a stream of critically acclaimed and influential works they have subsequently released, of which you may be less than aware.

I could listen to their entire collection of works and still have the same opinions. And nobody will ever,ever,EVER convince me that they deserve to be in the rock and roll hall of fame. You might think I am shortsighted or just plain stupid,but everybody isn't going to agree with your opinions on music just as I don't expect everybody to agree with mine. And they aren't a rock group. They are rap/slash hip hop group who added varaitions of "rock" to their music. Putting them in the same catagory with rock groups is just plain wrong.

while I agree that they're not a Rock band per se, they definitly have some very fine Rock (/Punk) tracks, eg Sabotage. The only difference to "normal" Rock is that they're rapping instead of singing, but the same goes for numerous others too - from Rage against the Machine, Limp Bizkit (and all the other "Nu Metal" stuff), over Beck to Bob Dylan

:)

over Beck to Bob Dylan

Nice one Martin... :grin:

Throwing Beck and Dylan back at me, and yes you are probably right. I will say that Beck is probably skirting the edges of Rock very slightly, in my opnion, though he does upon occaision sing as well... ;)

while I agree that they're not a Rock band per se, they definitly have some very fine Rock (/Punk) tracks, eg Sabotage. The only difference to "normal" Rock is that they're rapping instead of singing, but the same goes for numerous others too - from Rage against the Machine, Limp Bizkit (and all the other "Nu Metal" stuff), over Beck to Bob Dylan

I'm sure Bob Dylan would be happy to know that his musical style is considered by some to be similiar to The Beastie Boys,Limp Bizkit and Beck.

My Two Cents:

Yeah, I'd have to say that the Beastie Boys definitely CAN be labeled as a rock band. They do play their own instruments (sometimes). They only sample occasionally. Much of their music has a heavy metal/hardcore feel to it. They completely sold out to a record producer before they even released an album. Yeah, they're a rock band.

As for their place in the Hall of Fame: They HAVE had quite a large influence on current-day performers and aspiring musicians. But then again, just like the Monkees, I don't think they have done ENOUGH AS OF YET to warrant their induction at this time.

Just like with sports, I feel that to get into the hall of FAME, you don't just have to be FAMOUS, you should have to put up the numbers to back it up....consistent numbers over many years. Their first full-length LP wasn't released until 1986, for a total of seven (EP's just don't count)....not even one live album? Is that coincidence? Or is that "pulling the wool"?

If they could show me two more decent albums over the next four years, then I would say, "Yes", they DO deserve to be in.

And THAT is My Two Cents.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

sometimes I think you really want to be offended

:P:( :stars:

Why? Because I get a kick out of it when somebody makes a comparison like that? I'm not saying I am an expert on music and some on here have forgotten more that I will ever know but I very much doubt that many have ever made such a comparison to say Bob Dylan was at any time using a style that could be considered to be "rap". I'm sorry if I offended you but this is a discussion board and nobody should be surprised when somebody doesn't agree with their comments. Happens to me every day on here but I don't take it personal :).

Why? Because I get a kick out of it when somebody makes a comparison like that? I'm not saying I am an expert on music and some on here have forgotten more that I will ever know but I very much doubt that many have ever made such a comparison to say Bob Dylan was at any time using a style that could be considered to be "rap". I'm sorry if I offended you but this is a discussion board and nobody should be surprised when somebody doesn't agree with their comments. Happens to me every day on here but I don't take it personal :).

You are now officially part of the family here on SF Blue! :grin:

no, I don't really care if you agree with my opinion or not - it's more the way you answer... sorry if I got that wrong, but you always seem to take everything a bit too important, and if I may be frank, a few of your posts come of a bit more harsh than necessary :crazy: :P

and to answer your question:

some people say Bob Dylan invented Rap with this song (that's not true of course - there were others before him ;) )