Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees...well kind of Rock and Roll!

Sweet Jane 61

In spite of the minutiae of our individual opinions, there seems to be some concensus that "Rock And Roll" has become a very broad church.From its origins in rhythm'n'blues it has grown, spread, evolved, and its tentacles reach out in all directions.

I would still maintain that The Beastie Boys have as much in common with the roots of rock'n'roll as, say, Radiohead, yet I can't imagine any such furore about the latter being invited into the R'n'R Hall of Fame.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One song that may be considered a rock/rap crossover and they should get in the hall of fame? For me,no. One hit song doesn't or shouldn't get anybody in any music hall of fame.And besides,Run DMC did it much better when talking about rap/rock crossover with their "Walk This Way" collaboration

with Aerosmith. Do I think Run DMC deserves to be in the hall? Not really,although I do think they deserve it more than the Beastie Boys,and they are up for possible induction next year. Did Aerosmith deserve it when they were inducted? ABSOLUTELY.

I agree that the idea was great in the beginning. The hall honored those who were pioneers in rock and roll and those who had made contributions to the industry. They just let it get out of hand as far as nominees. I do follow country music some and they do a great job with their hall as far as who gets in. And it is diverse with artists like Elvis,Ray Charles,ect.,ect., who have been inducted. But does that mean they will induct Bon Jovi at some point because they had one crossover country hit,which occured last year? I doubt it.

I agree that the idea was great in the beginning. The hall honored those who were pioneers in rock and roll and those who had made contributions to the industry. They just let it get out of hand as far as nominees. I do follow country music some and they do a great job with their hall as far as who gets in. And it is diverse with artists like Elvis,Ray Charles,ect.,ect., who have been inducted. But does that mean they will induct Bon Jovi at some point because they had one crossover country hit,which occured last year? I doubt it.

Excellent analogy. Rock'n'Roll influences almost all popular music in todays world, that's natural, considering it's been an influence on almost everyone in todays society. It doesn't mean that all forms of music and all artists who use elements of rock should be eligible for the Hall of Fame.

Induction into the Hall of Fame would mean a lot more if it wasn't so apparently easy to get into, just by being popular. I would hope that the honorees would be there because of the influence they may have had on their peers and followers, and the contributions they have made (such as their body of work) to the genre itself. Blue's example of Charles & Elvis being in the country Hall of Fame is a great example. They made specific contributions to Country music, they didn't just use elements of Country in their songs. The crossover artists are great, and they probably belong in some Hall of Fame, just not the Rock 'n' Roll one.

Why? Because you like them more? "Because they're more competent musicians?" That's not what it's all about.

Because of "Licenced To Ill", "Fight For Your Right To Party", etc. and a general lack of public awareness of the concept of satire, there are too many common misconceptions about The Beastie Boys. From "Paul's Boutique" (a brilliant album, by the way) onwards, The Beasties, have an impressive record of making creative, innovative, ground-breaking albums, which have contributed greatly to exciting changes in the musical landscape over the last 20 years. They have paved the terrain for many other artists following in their wake. Ok, some of these may be of dubious worth (I'm thinking of some "rap-rock crossover" acts), but for the most part, I would argue that, since a whole generation of artists has benefitted from The Beasties' pioneering work in fusing and transcending the genres of hip-hop/punk/funk/jazz/dub/rock etc., their positive influence should not be understated.

While I've enjoyed reading everyone's oponions, I couldn't be less concerned about who is more deserving or who is really "rock" or "rock and roll" or "rock and supercalifragilistically roll". I would just like to let the world know that b-f's assessment of the genius that is the Beastie Boys brings much joy to my weary soul.

Carry on.

I think that like myself, Blue has grown up in the American south/midwest. We are pretty mainstream there, conservative, some might say provincial. While the Beastie Boys may enjoy some popularity with a certain age group or culture of people, I'm willing to bet that he knows the Beastie Boys for one or two songs (as do I)... and that's about it. So yeah, maybe we have been somewhat sheltered, if you want to call it that.

Eh, all I meant was that we have a different sort of perspective. I have no doubt that there are artists tht we consider Genius, that you have neither heard of, or if you have, think are no more eligible for the term Rock n Roll, than we feel the Beasties are. I recognize that. Music IS very subjective, or hadn't you realized that? :P

Well, sure I had. Try telling that to Blue. ;) I'm only 3 years younger than Blue and come from a different continent to The Beastie Boys, yet I and plenty of other people I know are at least aware of- if not appreciative of- The Beastie Boys' reputation as innovative, creative artists.

If anything, I feel I have spent the last few days trying to convey the notion that just because they may not appeal to one's taste is no basis for being so dismissive of their worth, since they are arguably one of the major creative forces of the last 20 years.

Well, sure I had. Try telling that to Blue. ;) I'm only 3 years younger than Blue and come from a different continent to The Beastie Boys, yet I and plenty of other people I know are at least aware of- if not appreciative of- The Beastie Boys' reputation as innovative, creative artists.

If anything, I feel I have spent the last few days trying to convey the notion that just because they may not appeal to one's taste is no basis for being so dismissive of their worth, since they are arguably one of the major creative forces of the last 20 years.

The whole point of this discussion has been about if The Beastie Boys deserve to be in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I will always say no,they don't. While "Fight For Your Right" was a good song,I was 25 at the time of it's release and without a doubt I partied to the song,I in no way feel it's enough to get them into the hall. Should they be in the hip hop hall of fame or rap hall of fame? Sure,but not the rock and roll hall. They didn't do enough,in my opinion,to even deserve a nomination. I will always stand by that. And by the way Farin,mustard+genius got 660,000 hits :P.

Edited by Guest