Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees...well kind of Rock and Roll!

Sweet Jane 61

Here's something Madonna can really celebrate: a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Madge joins heartland rocker John Mellencamp , the puckish rappers Beastie Boys and premier dance acts Donna Summer and Chic among the nine nominees for the hall. The five leading vote-getters will be inducted in the annual ceremony March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

The other nominees are rap pioneer Afrika Bambaataa, literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, the original British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and surf rock instrumentalists The Ventures.

The nominations illustrate how far the Hall of Fame has stretched its definition of rock 'n' roll to incorporate a variety of musical styles.

It's certainly the case with Madonna, the Detroit-area native who burst out of New York dance clubs in the early 1980s with "Holiday" and soon became a pop culture icon. She scored 17 Top 10 hits in the 1980s alone and is due to put out an album next year, working with the likes of Timbaland and Justin Timberlake .

The Beastie Boys molded punk rock and rap into the goofy hit "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right to Party." They became critical favorites and are still together, releasing an instrumental album this year.

Indiana's own Mellencamp can fill a barrel with rock hits like "Hurts So Good," "Pink Houses" and "R.O.C.K. in the USA." Like Chic and the Dave Clark Five, he's been nominated before without getting into the hall.

Some 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.

Don't get some of the nominees listed here... :stars:

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it either. The Queen of Pop, the Queen of Disco, and the boys of Rap. They all belong in some Hall of Fame, but Rock N Roll? Funny how that term has become all encompassing of modern music as a whole. :P

The Dave Clark Five, and Mellencamp, now those are the great nominees! :thumbsup:

I meant that Pink Floyd is, like Genesis, considered a prog-rock band, therefore not rock 'n' roll.

Pink Floyd might be prog in one way but they also make "understandable" music. They sold more records than most of other bands. I would qualify them as rock and roll as they were a basic part of the rock and roll scene and a big influence. And they rock... :bow:

Pink Floyd might be prog in one way but they also make "understandable" music. They sold more records than most of other bands. I would qualify them as rock and roll as they were a basic part of the rock and roll scene and a big influence. And they rock... :bow:

Edna, I agree 100% with what you said, Pink Floyd is rock, and if you read anything about them even from the beginning, they are considered rock and roll. I can't imagine anyone thinking they aren't rock and part of the rock influence. When you listen to classic rock stations, Pink Floyd is always a core band right along with The Beatles, The Stones, Zeppelin, and others. Floyd rocks man!

:rockon:

And they are some of the best stoner music ever made..... :beatnik:

I meant that Pink Floyd is, like Genesis, considered a prog-rock band, therefore not rock 'n' roll.

Umm Ry, that has nothing to do with it, Prog is Rock, for pity's sake, as much as any other sub-genre, just like Country Rock, or any other Rock. Pink Floyd is one of the SuperGroups of Rock. That is something Genesis would never be considered, I don't think.

Genesis isn't there because (and conversly, Pink Floyd is), they just aren't considered that good by the people that count. Yet. Maybe they will be at some point, but who knows how they decide that stuff?

Edited by Guest

Genesis isn't there because (and conversly, Pink Floyd is), they just aren't considered that good by the people that count. Yet. Maybe they will be at some point, but who knows how they decide that stuff?

If the resurrection of Iggy Pop is anything to go by, it might be based on artists who come back into fashion, which in turn may be related to the kind of impact their earlier work has had on subsequent generations of musicians and fans. This will never happen to Genesis, so we should hopefully be spared the unholy prospect of a Genesis revival. :P

Genesis should definetly get in before the Beastie Boys though.

Why? Because you like them more? "Because they're more competent musicians?" That's not what it's all about.

Because of "Licenced To Ill", "Fight For Your Right To Party", etc. and a general lack of public awareness of the concept of satire, there are too many common misconceptions about The Beastie Boys. From "Paul's Boutique" (a brilliant album, by the way) onwards, The Beasties, have an impressive record of making creative, innovative, ground-breaking albums, which have contributed greatly to exciting changes in the musical landscape over the last 20 years. They have paved the terrain for many other artists following in their wake. Ok, some of these may be of dubious worth (I'm thinking of some "rap-rock crossover" acts), but for the most part, I would argue that, since a whole generation of artists has benefitted from The Beasties' pioneering work in fusing and transcending the genres of hip-hop/punk/funk/jazz/dub/rock etc., their positive influence should not be understated.

It's the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF Fame and I am sorry but Madonna,Donna Summer,The Beastie Boys or any rap artist,even if they are a "pioneer", should not even be considered.Once the door is opened,then the hall will be full of these kind of artists and some that were really rock artists will be left out. I would choose The Monkees over Madonna and the others I mentioned because at least the music they played would be considered rock music. It wasn't good rock music and I don't they they belong either,but at least they attempted to play rock and roll.John Mellencamp and The Dave Clark Five deserve to be there as do many other actual rock artists.

The Monkees? John Mellencamp??? The Dave Clark Five??? :laughing:

Why not just invite anyone who ever played guitars and have done with it?

Alternatively, why not make it a "whites only" gig to prevent that funky disco $h!t from infiltrating the hallowed halls of your museum?

This would, of course, necessitate a conscious denial of the origins of "rock and roll", but I can't see that being a big problem.

Alternatively, why not make it a "whites only" gig to prevent that funky disco $h!t from infiltrating the hallowed halls of your museum?

Wow, that was a strong statment and not sure why we needed to make this a racial issue. I don't care who sings Disco, it isn't rock and roll, but the Hall of Fame has basically become a joke anymore. And the blame lies with the board members. They have lost sight of what rock and roll was and it's history. It was a great idea in the beginning, but now has become just another award in music.

The Monkees? John Mellencamp??? The Dave Clark Five??? :laughing:

Why not just invite anyone who ever played guitars and have done with it?

This would, of course, necessitate a conscious denial of the origins of "rock and roll", but I can't see that being a big problem.

Can't see where you come up with these comments really. It has nothing to do with race and I think most people who listen to rock music know it's orgins. Disco isn't rock music.Rap isn't rock music. If it were a "white only museum", artists such as Little Richard,Fats Domino,Chuck Berry,Ray Charles and others wouldn't be in the hall.And yes,John Mellencamp and The Dave Clark Five deserve to be in the hall.Not because they are white but because of their influence on rock music.

Forgive me. My statement was intended to be ironic: mocking, not advocating, segregation- musical, racial or otherwise. Sometimes we "agent provocateurs" make bizarre statements like that. It was a peculiar and misleading way of making my point, which was...errr....what was it now?

...I'll try and phrase it better later tonight when I come home drunk as a skunk. :)