Grand Funk RR

Jim in Pa

Did anyone happen to read (out on the main) the msg re: Grand Funk RR, under the "Closer to Home" cat... about the band being heroin addicts?. I made a few posts there, but there have been no replys thus far... If any of you folks have read this, I'm just curious of your take on this subject. Having met Mark Farner personally, I know that they were all dead set against drugs. Mark was beaten up (badly) in Flint, Mi.., simply because he had long hair, and therefore considered a hippie, drug crazed musician. Hence the deformity in his face around the mouth area. Luckely this had no effect on his ability to sing. And he is a fantastic singer (IMHO), as well as highly under-rated guitarist...

Any opinions, or comments?

Jim

I have heard nothing of this personally. I don't know the source you are getting this from, is it just speculation? Mark Farner individually is great (just as you said, powerful voice), and as far as Grand Funk goes, the band, and their songs, are part of the soundtrack of my youth.

If this rumor is just based on speculation, I wonder if possibly some people have them mixed up with BTO? They were active during basically the same times, and their music was similar in sound (sort of). I know a lot of poeple that mix the two bands up, and there was some amount of drug use rumour surrounding them (mostly regarding brother Tim, I think).

According to Wikipedia Mark Farner became a Christian, and turned to Christian music as a solo artist, at least for a period of time, so unless the rumor is regarding other band members, I find it unlikely.

Oh and Jim.... Welcome to Songfacts!! ;)

Couldnt agree more...

While laying in bed tryin get to sleep last night. I somehow managed to dig up a few old brain cells from back then. I recalled a Philly concert, ( maybe back in 73 ) when they had what they called "dance concerts" (In this case it was the old Phila Spectrum). I got myself front and center somehow. About 12 ft away from the stage. And completly smashed against the retaining wall, unable to move. A girl about my age (there with her brother) was right behind me. She couldnt see, so I put her my shoulders.. When Mark had finished the harmonica parts of "Inside Looking Out" Mark threw his harmonica into the crowd. She had a hand on it, but couldnt hang on to it... Needless to say, someone else got it. But to this day I have no idea who this person was. I do remember her saying she was from the same town as I, but didnt get into details..

If there is a female on here that recalls such an event happining in Philly bout 1973... Speak up, the person I speak of might be you...

Its scary when those brain cells ya thought ya killed come back to haunt ya.... lol

Jim

Edited by Guest

Anyone remember the concert tour they did in conjunction to the release of "Shinin On", with the large projection sheet hung behind the stage promoting "Locomotion". It was as close as they ever got to doing an all-out music video....

Jim

Edited by Guest

Of the many GFRR concerts I've been too, I never had a bad time. No hassles, not fights, no injuries to write home about. Always a good time.

Not like today when ya get 1/2 wasted on the way to a show. And if ya do make it home, ya wake up trying to remember what ya did the night before.. "Concert,? what concert?"... Damn, i'm startin to sound an old fart now.........

• 9 months later...

I don't remember anything on GFRR and drugs.. i know that they got ripped off badly by their manager..

Too young to have seen em.. but its funny that with as many records they sold.. the critics hated em and seemingly they get left out when great bands are discussed.