Musicians Badmouthing Other Musicians

nobody_home

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I can see, most of the "badmouthing quotes" don't really stand up to much analysis: for the most part they are taken totally out of context, if the ones I already knew about are anything to go by.

e.g. Elvis Costello's infamous remark about Ray Charles seems to be totally outrageous, but is less so, when you have an appreciation of the context in which it was made.

Sid Vicious' remark about his contribution to The Sex Pistols is an utter lie and shouldn't even have been included. To make sense of this remark, one needs to acknowledge that, by the time of Sid's membership of the band, making outrageous (dumb) claims in order to stir up confusion and chaos (or just to have a laugh at some sucker journalists expense)had become an integral part of the mythology-building process.

I could go on, but I can't be arsed. I suspect that most of these examples, if subjected to similar contextual scrutiny, would crumble to dust.

To add to this, reputable sources for this would help.

• 11 years later...

Joe Perry of Aerosmith admitted he felt jealous when Guns N’ Roses got huge. I think he’s the only one being honest here. It’s sad how all these great artists are so threatened by and ungenerous about each other. I guess the massively talented are just as human and fragile as the rest of us…The only genuinely confident people I’ve known are kind people.