To My Belumia.

Blue Fish

Hello there trusted stranger, with all your trusted lies

Forgotten hope and shattered dreams trickle from my eyes

I need your knowing comfort there to help me through the day

To let me know your always there, no matter what they say.

I harbour you in secret, I feel I know you well

I turn to you to make it right, when heaven turns to hell.

You have a cold grip on my heart and whispers for my pain

Telling me that love and dreams may all be in vain.

Your troubles come from being fat your forgotten and alone

Your friends are with the skinny ones, says your sugared tone

Think how many calories, your destined to get fat

You'll never get lovers of friends, if you look like that.

My heart is caught up in your web, like a dragonfly

To weak and helpless now to fly from your accusing eye

Do your desires really lie in leaving me right here?

Only I can guaranty fatness is no fear.

Our relationships so comforting, so steady and so deep

Yet I find you unjustly harsh, you often make me weep

I see the confusion in friends eyes as I explain your ways

They just can not understand, the complexity of our days.

It would be cruel and unfair to ask them for their time

It's not their problem after all but mine to deal with, mine

I want a life that’s free from all the guilt of food

Candlelit dinners after all are how some woman are wooed.

any thoughts? Comments? Anything that can be improved? All would be handy!

I was thinking the same thing EA...The poem does flow along nicely untill then.....I see the point being made though with that line, maybe if it was re-worded?....

maybe like this?

Candlelit dinners, after all, are how we are wooed.

or

Afterall, candlelit dinners are how woman are wooed.

Where's S2V?...he could tell ya... :P

OK, Bloof, here are my thoughts. First, you must separate a critique from criticism. I offer the former, out of respect to what you have written. Take it in the manner it is offered. I think you can be a very effective writer. I think your youth considered, you are on your way to great things, if writing is truly your heart's desire. That said, I will dissect a few lines. There is a lot here and quite a bit flows lyrically. But because there is a lot, there were many opportunities for you to stumble.

When writing a poem remember three things: Meter, Matter and Mutter.

The prime thing to remember in lyrical poetry is Meter. It doesn't have to be "sing-songy" or like a nursery rhyme; but when a reader gets into a cadence with your rhymes, it is quite disconcerting to interrupt that cadence and ask them to change gears all the time. It helps to count out your rythmn patterns in your most essential stanza - be it the opening, contrasting or the denouement - and attempt to stay true to that rythmn throughout. Build the poem's rythmn around the best stanza, so to speak. Count out the beats and try to stay true to them. This is one of the hallmarks of conscientiously deliberate lyrical poetry.

Think of nouns as the skeleton of your poem, the verbs are the muscles, adjectives and adverbs are the flesh and hair. Together they form the appearance. If you want the appearance to be cliched for effect (like Robert palmer's "back-up band"), use cliches that all look alike. If you want your poem to appear distinct and original .. well, you get the idea. Every word is the opportunity to shape the appearance of your poem. Wherever possible, make each word Matter.

One of the biggest turn-offs to a reader of any form of writing is inconsistent pronouns e.g. referring to a reader as "you," a subject in the story as "you" and also an object of the subject's conversation as "you" all in the same piece, without clear distinction. Other turn-offs are poor grammar, puncuation and spelling. I have heard more than one youthful author explain that they can't be held accountable for those three items, because what they are saying is more important than how perfectly they say it. Which is another way of formulating this sentence, "If I am not ignorant, I am certainly lazy." Proof, proof, and then proofread your work again. Before hitting "add post" I will read this at least three times and still will have some mistakes, but I care. Your poems are your children, dress them sloppy or dress them clean. If a reader cannot clearly understand what it is you are saying, they will start to Mutter to themselves and could lose interest in what you are writing about.

Hello there trusted stranger, with all your trusted lies I love the sound of "trusted lies" that is so great, but you put a third ear where the eye should go by also using "trusted" to describe stranger. You had a chance to describe bulemia in more depth there.

Forgotten hope and shattered dreams trickle from my eyes how about "melting dreams" or something liquid? Shattered cannot trickle and is so overused to describe dreams

I need your knowing comfort there to help me through the day

To let me know your should be you're always there, no matter what they say.

I harbour you in secret, I feel I know you well

I turn to you to make it right, when heaven turns to hell. Great line!

You have a cold grip on my heart and whispers for my pain Try "You have a grip upon my heart and whispers for my pain" flows better

Telling me that love and dreams may all be in vain. needs one more beat to that line between "be" and "in"

This next stanza I show quotation marks that help claritfy your intent:

"Your troubles come from being fat, forgotten and alone I dropped an uneeded word there for better flow with the meter

Your friends are with the skinny ones," says your sugared tone find a descriptive replacement for "says," like "pries" or some word indicating a deeper call to you

"Think how many calories, your destined to get fat

You'll never get lovers of friends, if you look like that." "your" should be you're try " ... lovers or friends .."

I could go on, but maybe you would rather I not. I know how personal poems are and how it is thin ice to make changes on another's work. If you want me to go on, I will. Just let me know. But at least I have given you some things to ponder.