Favorite Guitar Solos

Mike

I wouldn't be surprised that I have them listed with my old username. Anyway, here they are -

1) "My Sharona" by the Knack. Berton Averre does more than justice with a full frontal 1:31 ferocious attack on the fretboard that's complete, never needing more.

2) "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zep. No ad nauseum here, for just a great blues lead (A minor) with the 'F' thrown in for good measure.

3) "Ice Cream Man" by Van Halen. Everyone seems to nod for 'Eruption' as Eddie's cream of the crop. However, they overlook what I still feel is Eddie's best ever solo.

4) "(Only A) Summer Love" by REO Speedwagon. Gary Richrath's amazing 'live' version from their great double LP album, "Live! You Get What You Play For," released back in 1977. Whether or not there was studio tinkering involved, his guitar playing puts goosebumps on my goosebumps.

5) "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple. Richie Blackmore's tour de force. Amazing not only with the bends, but the fast particular phrases as well. He is also all over the fretboard but you wouldn't know by the intricate fingering and picking.

:)

Queen bohemian Rasphedy (so sorry about the spelling!!)

I have always loved Queen guitarist Brian May. He just seems to have a different sound to his guitar playing,very distinctive and unique.And I hope spelling doesn't count on here because I'm a terrible speller.Btw,it's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and I have to look it up every time to see how it's spelled. And I agree,great song and guitar work :guitar:.

I have always loved Queen guitarist Brian May. He just seems to have a different sound to his guitar playing,very distinctive and unique.And I hope spelling doesn't count on here because I'm a terrible speller.Btw,it's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and I have to look it up every time to see how it's spelled. And I agree,great song and guitar work :guitar:.

Only a few are picky about it!! Glad to meet a fellow Queen fan! Welcome.

• 1 year later...

With so much emphasis on the length of guitar solos

Many shorter ones get overlooked.

George Harrison created some of the best, most memorable and enduring solos of all-time.

Two of my favorites are within I want you - Abbey Road and Let it be (album version outtake).