Britney BOMBS at MTV awards

Mike

It's a choice they had to make, they had to know that if they're using their exposed status to make their politcal views public there was the possibility to alienate many of their (country) fans in the post-9/11 USA

possible decreasing commercial success vs. standing to their opinion

stupid or brave?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through expressing unpalatable truths, The Dixie Chicks may have lost some of their traditional fan-base over there, but I believe they opened up a new one over here...

Long live our tradition of freedom of speech and opinion. ;)

I believe totally in freedom of speech and opinion as I stated in my post. I said Natalie Mains had every right to say what she did. But people,even some of their most passionate fans,had the right to say "You shouldn't have said what you said,where you said it,so I'm not going to buy your music anymore." It's all about freedom of choice. I think if you are in the spotlight and you say something that people may find offensive,don't be surprised if it hurts or even kills your career. If the goal of the Dixie Chicks when they started their music career was to make their political opinions known regardless of what it would do to their career,then fine,they succeeded. But my guess is their goal was to have a successfull music career.

Gonnna throw in my two cents, I for one believe everyone has a right to express their views on anything, that is freedom of speech. Well when an artist does it, ok let them say what they have to say, they also have that right...will it make me stop buying their albums if I disagree, no. I became a fan due to the music they make, not what political views they have, that is their choice. I mean we all have family and friends that don't always speak political comments we agree on, and you don't cut them out of your life over their views. Granted we aren't in the public eye, but so what if you are, speak your mind and if you lose fans over it, ok there will be more fans down the road. Everytime we open our mouth to express an opinion we are taking the chance to maybe offend someone or have someone disagree, that is what keeps the everyday life from being boring. I for one applaud any artist who takes that big step and voices their political views.

I for one applaud any artist who takes that big step and voices their political views.

me too :thumbsup:

also: if fans decide to not buy any records by this group and don't want to go to their concerts, that's one thing

but if radio stations call for a boycott of their music and their CDs are burned, then that's a whole different thing :(:P

and I have to agree with b-f, I bet they weren't really known in Europe before 2003 ;)

I agree totally that they had the right to say what they said.That's not my point in this.My point is that they shouldn't have been surprised what happened after they said it. If I am a artist who is doing what I have dreamed of doing my entire life,I would have to ask myself if I would be willing to hurt my career or even destroy it by saying something like that. I think if it were me I would have thought maybe this isn't the time or the place. Of course this can be compared to the 60's and what part music played in all kinds of social issues,including the war in Vietnam. But it was done at a time when the war was unpopular and most,especially the younger generation who were fighting the war,agreed with the opinion of the musicians. At the time Natalie Mains made her comments about the President,he was very popular. If she hadn't made the comments then,but made the same ones today,hardly anything would be said. It's all about timing,epecially in todays world where news travels fast. Do I think people went overboard with the whole thing? Yes I do. I heard of somebody who used Dixie Chicks CD's instead of clay pidgeons during skeet shooting. But,that was their right too. I agree totally with the right of free speech but I also agree with those who feel that also gives them the right not to say anything if they dont want to and sometimes,especially if you are in the spotlight,that's the better choice. I respect your opinion Jane and you know I love ya :P.

Oh I agree that when The Dixie Chicks got upset over their fans dropping them, they were being just stupid. Look at artists that make political statments...Bruce, Neil, Mellencamp, Henley, and others and they stand behind what they say no matter what the fans think, as they should support their statements. Fans can be very critical and when you say something they don't approve of, make sure you are ready and willing to deal with the fallout. I applauded The Dixie Chicks with their statment, but then when they acted all upset with the fallout I was like girls stand your ground, don't let backlash make you look stupid. And that is what happened. I wasn't a fan of theirs but I did lose repsect for them after they felt bad for speaking their mind.

And the love BnW goes both ways hon! :)

I don't know exactly what The Dixie Chicks actually said, but if it was something along the lines of "President Bush is an incompetent buffoon" and "This war is wrong", then fair play to them. The President's popularity level in the polls at a given time shouldn't prevent people from telling it like it is.

You might say that their remarks were ill-judged, given the President's favour with the people at that time. With the benefit of hindsight, it appears that The Dixie Chicks may have had a point: maybe people are now warming to the view (commonly held in the rest of the western world) that the President is indeed an incompetent buffoon who has led an immoral crusade to war. Obviously it is unlikely that the more reactionary elements of their former fan-base will come back in sympathy, and acknowledge that, in fact, in the longer term , the Chicks opinion was reasonable and valid.

It's like Ronald Reagan: what was the point in anyone waiting till "after the fact" to point out that he was a dangerous idiot? Where were the mainstream artists who might have stood up to be counted at the right time? Nowhere: for the most part, they left that sort of thing to the hardcore punkers like Jello Biafra, who were operating out on the margins of public consciousness.

It takes a certain courage to make a stand for a principle- especially if it runs counter to the prevailing public opinion and the powers-that-be. Better that than keeping schtum and pontificating about it later on, when the damage is already done.

I don't know exactly what The Dixie Chicks actually said, but if it was something along the lines of "President Bush is an incompetent buffoon" and "This war is wrong", then fair play to them.

it wasn't even that harsh... in a concert one of them said:

"Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas."

It takes a certain courage to make a stand for a principle- especially if it runs counter to the prevailing public opinion and the powers-that-be. Better that than keeping schtum and pontificating about it later on, when the damage is already done.

...and then doing it with an "I told you so" attitude :crazy: :P

It's amusing when people from around the world try and tell Americans that our leaders are "buffoons" and "idiots". I am sure many Americans feel the same. Maybe I do too,but if I am an American and I voted for the buffoon or the idiot,or,I didn't vote at all,then maybe I could accept some of the blame for putting the idiots in office. Or by not voting,help keeping them in office. But I think those living outside of the U.S.A should maybe look at their own leaders and worry about them being buffoons and,or,idiots,and do something about it,since they live there. I think we Americans can take care of our own buffoons and idiots and we have plenty to keep us busy. And one final word about the Dixie Chicks and what they said. Freedom of speech is a right that should be cherished but there is such a thing as good taste and knowing when to say something and when not to. And also WHERE to say something. Just because one has freedom of speech doesn't mean you say something just to make a crowd you are performing in front of cheer a little louder.

And one final word about the Dixie Chicks and what they said. Freedom of speech is a right that should be cherished but there is such a thing as good taste

In what respectwas the Dixie Chicks comment (quoted above in this thread) in poor taste? Is it distasteful to yearn for an end to violence and bloodshed? Are they not entitled to distance themselves from their fellow Texan's actions, if they so wish? Agree with their statement or not, I really can't see where "taste" comes into it.

and knowing when to say something and when not to. And also WHERE to say something. Just because one has freedom of speech doesn't mean you say something just to make a crowd you are performing in front of cheer a little louder.

Where, in your opinion, would haver been a more appropriate environment, for the Dixie Chicks to have made their feelings known? Would you have more sympathy if it were in the context of a magazine interview, on a chat-show, etc. My impression is, that wherever they had chosen to say this, you would defend their right to say it, whilst finding some reason to condemn them for doing so.

"You have the right to free speech...as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it" The Clash - "Know Your Rights"

You can complain all you want. But there is a saying that goes something like "fix your own house before you worry about your neighbors."

Sound advice. Though strangely enough I always thought it was possible to 'worry' about two things at the same time, and I don't think just looking after one's own business is the right way here.

I think if they wanted to say something like that,they should have had the guts to say it in front of an American audience,not half the world away. And that's why they said it there,because they knew it would be supported by the crowd they were performing in front of. They didn't do it here because,at the time,they would have been booed off the stage or worse. It didn't take courage at that place and time for Natalie Mains to say what she did and that's what got me about the whole thing. She did it in front of a audience she knew would be receptive to what she was going to say. Courage isn't about doing something or saying something that you know before hand is going to be recieved well. Like I said,if she was going to say it,do it here. Or better yet,in Texas. That would have taken courage and maybe I would have respected it.

You can complain all you want. But there is a saying that goes something like "fix your own house before you worry about your neighbors."

umm... Isn't that exactly what the Dixie Chicks wanted and did?

complain about their own president instead of worrying about some other country, far away?

umm... Isn't that exactly what the Dixie Chicks wanted and did?

complain about their own president instead of worrying about some other country, far away?

Yes,that's what they did. But that's not what the above quote of mine was referring to. That post was directed at somebody who made comments about our leaders being "buffoons and idiots" and asking why they,not the Dixie Chicks,shouldn't be allowed to complain here in this forum. And my response was kind of like saying "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Two different subjects within the same thread. That kind of thing.

you know, I don't really agree with that...

we (non-Americans) often "complain" about the fact that the USA is taking the role of a "world police", but regardless whether we like it or not, the USA is (currently) the only global power nation, the only one who is willing and able to change political situations in foreign nations through force (that doesn't havet to be a bad thing)

but exactly that fact gives us the right to complain about your president/politics, because it is not only a US domestic decision, but affects us as well...

do you know what I mean? :)

I know what you mean and as I stated before,you can complain all you want. You have the right. I don't agree with what our leaders are doing and I don't agree with us always being or having to be the "worlds police". The point I was making was our country isn't the only one who has leaders who are buffoons and idiots. I don't think there is a worldwide shortage of those,unfortunatly.

There are worse "Un-American Activities" than this remark going on every day. I didn't get the uproar when it happened, if Bush was from Ohio I would be ashamed, I am ashamed he is the President, and no I didn't not vote for him, and I have voiced my opinions on air, granted I am not famous, but people react and that is fine. We all have the right to speak our minds, and I don't think what the Dixie Chicks said was stupid or dumb. Them being sorry for it was stupid, not standing their ground. Freedom of speech is a privilage and yes some abuse it daily, but even those who might abuse it and say stupid remarks have been given the right to do so, and yes sometimes that is unfortunate. I was more disappointed in their fans who boycotted them and the radio stations that wouldn't play their music, that makes Americans look stupid, we say you have a right to freedom of speech just as long as we agree with what you say was the message those fans and radio stations relayed. There was stupidity in top form.

I know what you mean and as I stated before,you can complain all you want. You have the right. I don't agree with what our leaders are doing and I don't agree with us always being or having to be the "worlds police". The point I was making was our country isn't the only one who has leaders who are buffoons and idiots. I don't think there is a worldwide shortage of those,unfortunatly.

yes, sadly that's very true :crazy: :P

Edited by Guest