School Of Rock Blackboard

Danielj

I found a Jack Black interview that had some interesting insight:

Q: In 'School of Rock,' on the blackboard, you list the top bands in each genre of rock. Did you have input in that and do you agree with the rankings that you made?

A: I don't think they're rankings. It was Rich's idea to get the big chalkboard and he put down a bunch of categories and subcategories of rock - the rock family tree history. He said to the whole cast and crew, and that's over 100 people, anybody who has input, or an opinion even, come up and write one band on the board. So everybody kind of put the things they wanted and then I came in with veto power and erased a couple of things.

-------------------------------

I found some industrious people that figured it out here: Frank's Reel Reviews - keep scrolling down, there's more info the farther you go.

-------------------------------

I also learned a cool trick...supposedly if you have the DVD you can put it into your PC's CD-ROM and there should be a link that says "Chalkboard" that will show you the diagram.

:coolio:

• 2 weeks later...

AMG has some good charts of Rock history too and if you look a specific band, artist, or performer it will not only tell you a brief history of the band, but also who their influences are, what styles they did, what bands sound like them, and who their followers are.

http://www.allmusic.com/

It's not as quaint and interesting as the chart from the movie (there should be a poster made just of that), but it's very fun to read nonetheless.

Man, that is awesome. Whoever had the idea for this movie was genious. It's a great idea to introduce kids to good music, and not all that Britney Spears Lizzy MacGuire crap.

I know what you mean. That movie has had a big effect on the kids I know, younger and same age. They don't like much old bands, just AC/DC, and they don't even know they are old rock, but its a start!

Yeah, my little cousins who are like 9, 7, and 4 all want to learn guitar, and they always putting on pretend rock concerts. It sort of takes away that musically hopeless feeling you have for them. Also, Jack Black's performance in the movie was great. I loved it! I haven't heard a lot by Tenacious D, but they sound pretty cool. I like Jack Black.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...