Most overplayed songs on radio

Mike

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From listening to the radio for about an hour just about every day for the past four years or so, I have heard Free Bird exactly twice. On the other hand, I have heard Straight Lines by Silverchair pretty much every day since it was released (a few months ago). :crazy:

In general, 96fm is a good station though. :)

Actually I don't think the song's listed for Clapton and Walsh would be anywhere close to being overplayed. I listen to a lot of classic rock and usually the Clapton songs played the most are "Tears in Heaven","Cocaine" and "After Midnight". For Joe Walsh,it's almost always the song "Life's Been Good So Far". Once in a while it might be "In The City". As far as Sweet Home,Stairway and Hotel,if you have a classic rock station ,I would imagine those songs would HAVE to be on the play list. As far as AC/DC,play 'em all I say. :guitar:

You know one of the things I love about living in the UK? I could listen to "oldies" radio all day, every day and I doubt I would hear a single one of the "over-played classics" mentioned in this thread.

On the down-side, I might have to suffer an OD of Phil Collins, Paul Young, Sade and Simply Red......which is why I very rarely listen to "golden oldies" radio.

You know one of the things I love about living in the UK? I could listen to "oldies" radio all day, every day and I doubt I would hear a single one of the "over-played classics" mentioned in this thread.

On the down-side, I might have to suffer an OD of Phil Collins, Paul Young, Sade and Simply Red......which is way I very rarely listen to "golden oldies" radio.

You mentioned Paul Young. I remember when he performed at Band Aid,I believe in 1984,and he sang "Everytime You Go Away". I loved the song and still do to this day. I don't admit that to a lot of people.

My guess is these songs are played a lot because the listeners are calling in requesting the songs to be played. Which may once again bring comments from the crowd here that the reason those songs get requested is because some of the listeners only know those songs. That's not my opinion of course. I think they request them because they like hearing those songs over and over again because they love them. I would also think it would be hard not to include the songs mentioned in this thread if you are running a classic rock radio station since almost all of the songs are considered classics. What are they supposed to play?

someone correct me if I'm wrong (Sweet Jane?), but I think most radio DJs don't get choose what they're playing anymore and, at least here, shows where requests are played aren't that numerous either... :P

I never said the DJ's set the song schedules as what is to be played. I think usually the station manager does this or somebody like that. And I would say all the stations that I listen to have a request line. I don't think that's so unusual, even for today. Of course I'm not Jane, who is a DJ,but I think it's common knowledge that a lot of radio stations,especially classic stations,take requests from their listeners.

I'm sure it is and knowing that why did you want Jane's opinion? She is a DJ here in the states and Kentucky,believe it or not,is a part of the USA.

I didn't ask for her opinion, I said somebody (maybe Sweet Jane since she is the only professional Radio DJ I know) should correct me if I'm wrong

and thanks for the geography lesson :P

My guess is these songs are played a lot because the listeners are calling in requesting the songs to be played. Which may once again bring comments from the crowd here that the reason those songs get requested is because some of the listeners only know those songs. That's not my opinion of course. I think they request them because they like hearing those songs over and over again because they love them.

I wouldn't like to hear ANY song over and over again. Overplaying songs takes away the magic/charm/whatever. I think they're played because they're the most commercially successful hits of the most commercially successful bands :P

I wouldn't like to hear ANY song over and over again. Overplaying songs takes away the magic/charm/whatever. I think they're played because they're the most commercially successful hits of the most commercially successful bands :P

And also because they are considered to be classics.Which is why radio stations with a format of classic rock,play them.