Ann Wilson ~ Hope & Glory

Sweet Jane 61

Ann Wilson ~ Hope & Glory

With my job there are some awesome perks and getting albums before they hit the streets is one of them, and I received this one yesterday.

This being Ann Wilson’s first solo album I was waiting with great expectations, and I wasn’t disappointed. It is a very powerful album that focuses on troubled times. Ann gives her interpretation of some of the greatest songs of the past forty years that reflect the here and now. Her voice is still in top form, but you hear a maturity to it that is welcoming.

Out of the 11 songs on the album only one isn’t a cover. That is the final song on the album Little Problems, Little Lies a moving song written by Ann. Which is a perfect song to wrap up the album featuring classic hits from the 60’s like A Hard Rains Gonna Fall, Bad Moon Rising, We Gotta Get Out Of This Place, and from the 70’s Immigrant Song, Isolation, and War of Men. The way Hope & Glory pulls together the matters of war and peace gives the album a passion that is missing from some cover albums you hear.

What surprised me were the musical guests, very eclectic mix. Elton John, kd Lang, Wynonna, Gretchen Wilson, Deana Carter, Alison Krauss, Shawn Colvin, Rufus Wainwright, and Nancy Wilson. But when you hear the songs everything blends together perfectly with some amazing harmonies.

I would recommend this album to any fan of Heart, but also to any true music fan. It touches on the problems in today’s world without political overtones, but with a very intimate feeling.

Track Listing

Goodbye Blue Sky – featuring Nancy Wilson

Where To Now St Peter? – duet with Elton John

Jackson – duet with kd Lang

We Gotta Get Out Of This Place – duet with Wynonna

Immigrant Song

Darkness, Darkness – featuring Nancy Wilson

Bad Moon Rising – duet with Gretchen Wilson

War of Man – featuring Alison Krauss

Get Together – featuring Nancy Wilson, Wynonna, and Deana Carter

Isolation

A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall – featuring Shawn Colving and Rufus Wainwright

Little Problems, Little Lies

ann2ndflyer-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the review! I've heard several songs from Hope & Glory already, and I'm loving it! She really seems to have a new and fresh take on some great classic songs. Of course, I'd listen to Ann sing just about anything. She's got a couple of the new songs up on her myspace page, btw! "Immigrant Song" is just incredible. Nobody but Ann (and Heart) should ever be allowed to cover Zeppelin!

I can't wait to have this cd in my hot little hands.

I didn't recognize the name at all, must be a new musician she is working with, he sounds good. She has really distanced herself away from Heart for this album. Which is a smart move, she has shown her style.

Ben Mink has been around for many years. He's produced albums for kd land, Fiest and Barenaked Ladies. He's also an accomplished musician. This album is going to be great!! Ann Wilson is the ultimate rock and roll singer.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky, you won't be disappointed in the album. I listen to it everday, and love it more and more. The mix of guest voices is refreshing and Ann sounds great. Let me know what you think after you get the album. And your fav tune, right now mine is....

We Gotta Get Out Of This Place – duet with Wynonna

their voice blend perfectly and then I like....

A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall – featuring Shawn Colving and Rufus Wainwright

Always loved the Wilson sisters and always felt Ann Wilson had one of the best voices in rock music. Sounds like some interesting combinations on this album too. I saw on TV,can't remember where,Gretchen Wilson singing with Heart and she has a kickbutt rock voice. She was singing some of the old Heart songs and she was awesome. Going to have to check this one out for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

Gretchen was on the VH1 Rock Honors and she sang Barracuda, and you are right she rocked out on that song! I was like wow she is wasting that voice in country music!

Yeah I saw that and I think she was on CMT with Heart too. They sometimes combine country artists with rock artists in a thing they call "Crossroads". A couple years ago Pat Benatar was paired with Martina McBride on there and talk about a rock singers voice.Martina has some pipes.