Great Covers that may be better than originals

Lucky

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I often post covers that are good, but not necessarily better than the originals - mostly because of a lack of a cover thread without this restriction ;)

in this case I would say that original and cover are equally good :thumbsup:

ANd there's a world of difference between Bob's original studio version, which wasn't great, and the classic 1975 live version ;-)

LBB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends

I'm sure that one has been mentioned before, but it craps all over the original, no offense to the Beatles intended.

Brenda Lee - The End of The World

I like Skeeter Davis's version, but Brenda's has a little more oomph to it, a little more *something* in her voice.

Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good

Most people don't know that this was a cover, and it is so much better than the original, to most people it doesn't exist anymore outside of her version.

I agree with you about Brenda Lee and her cover... also partly about "With a little help..." ...I never liked this song and Cocker just makes it sligthly better.

"tomorrow is a long time" is far better by Elvis than by Bob.

I love The Walker' s cover of "Oh, lonesome me" better than Gibson' s or even Neil Young' s.

Joe Cocker's take is better or even equal to very few originals in my opinion. I just cannot like that man. He's really the king of covers though. I wonder how many of his hits were actually original to him? Not many I don't believe.

His version of Delta Lady (written by Leon Russell about Rita Coolidge), is supposed to be one of his best songs:

Delta Lady ~ Cocker

But here's the original:

Delta Lady ~ Russell